Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft larceny

sophie23

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I stole 62 dollars worth of merchandise from a department store(stupid I know) but I was stopped on the way out and returned the goods. I am being prosecuted in a couple of weeks and I am very unsure of how court is going to be or what the repercussions will be. This is my first offense.
I am 18 and a senior in high school, I have had the same job for about a year (in this job I do handle money, could I be fired?), I am very involved in school activities (NHS, NAHS, environmental club...), and I have earned honor roll/principals list throughout my four years. I am also planning on attending a four year university in Wisconsin to become a nurse, is it possible my acceptance will be impacted as well? So do these things matter in court/should I bring my transcripts and/or resume?
I have tried looking up if I would go to jail or what kind of fines I may potentially have to pay, but the internet isn't giving me what I want to know, so any answers, advice, tips would be much appreciated

Conviction on a minor theft related offense usually results in a fine, court costs, fees, community service, completing an anti-theft or ethics class, and probation.

You plead NOT guilty, ask the judg eif you qualify for a public defender, if you don't I suggest you hire a lawyer.

You stay out of more legal trouble, and don;t explain, or discuss the elements of the case.

This charge won't likely impact college attendance, but could eventually impact state licensing as a nurse.

Which is WHY you need a lawyer to assist you in minimizing the destruction this could eventually cause in your life.

Will it impact current employment, maybe, another reason to THINK about the consequences before breaking THEIR laws.

You won't be "prosecuted" in a couple weeks. You will have what is known as an arraignment. You will be formally informed of the charges and asked to make a plea.
No matter the circumstances, your plea is NOT GUILTY and you request that an attorney be appointed to assist you if you can't afford your own.
With legal representation you can likely keep this off your record and not do long term damage.
Expect to pay fines to the court and expect to receive a letter from the store or its collection agency demanding more.
The fine in court will likely range from $200-500 and the store will want something similar. If you receive one of these demand letters you can ask your legal counsel about whether or not you should pay it. The demand is NOT part of your fine and is NOT a debt that you owe. You have no legal obligation to pay it.

Back