Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Larceny at military base, was initially released, then given a court order

June28

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello, I am an 18 year old dependent of a retired military service member (I was allowed to keep my military ID and privileges because I am attending university). I was detained for shoplifting at a base exchange on September 17, 2017. I was taken into the loss prevention office, then questioned by the MP. Basically I explained what happened (it was unintentional shoplifting), and they read me my rights and had me fill out a bunch of paperwork and written statements, and told me that I was accused of shoplifting. My sponsor was nearby and he was called in and they asked for his basic info. I was initially released with a letter informing me that I was banned from the AAEFS of that base for a year. However, the MP officer who questioned me called me later because he forgot to return my ID, and when I met with him again at the visitors' center of the base, he had me sign a ticket notice that he apparently also forgot to give me and informed me that I needed to appear in federal court and that they will mail me a notice. However, I am a college student attending university in Washington, and the address I gave them was my legal permanent residence in Hawaii, where my sponsor lives. Any advice or explanation for what to do from here on? I would like to keep my record clean if possible...thank you in advance.

Oh and, this is my first offense for anything, ever. I'm willing to pay for any fines and do community service, I would just like it off my record...
Can I still plead not guilty if I was already accused? I read something about a diversionary sentencing? Is this possible with a court appointed lawyer?

Getting it off should have been your consideration before you were arrested.

If you fail to appear in person in court, the magistrate will issue a warrant for your arrest.

One step at a time.

Appear in court, plead not guilty, ask if you qualify for a public defender, then wait to be contacted, otherwise do as instructed.

This process won't be hurried.

You play their game, their way.

If you miss one court appearance, a couple US Marshals will visit you.

If you escape them, a local cop will nab you after running your name for a traffic stop.

The process has just begun, rest easy grasshopper, they own you now.

Getting it off should have been your consideration before you were arrested.

If you fail to appear in person in court, the magistrate will issue a warrant for your arrest.

One step at a time.

Appear in court, plead not guilty, ask if you qualify for a public defender, then wait to be contacted, otherwise do as instructed.

This process won't be hurried.
I
You play their game, their way.

If you miss one court appearance, a couple US Marshals will visit you.

If you escape them, a local cop will nab you after running your name for a traffic stop.

The process has just begun, rest easy grasshopper, they own you now.

Thank you for the response sir, but I don't plan on running or anything, just would like some guidance on going through the trial process. So after I get my court date do I just show to to court? What are all the possible actions and outcomes for me at this point? Pleading guilty vs. not guilty? Getting a public defender vs private attorney?

Thank you for the response sir, but I don't plan on running or anything, just would like some guidance on going through the trial process. So after I get my court date do I just show to to court? What are all the possible actions and outcomes for me at this point? Pleading guilty vs. not guilty? Getting a public defender vs private attorney?

If you don't qualify for a public defender, your only option will be to hire your own attorney.

One step at a time.

Your lawyer will further instruct you.

Very few people make it out of federal court with a not guilty verdict, even people with lots of money.

Federal prosecutors are extremely proficient at obtaining guilty verdicts.

If I were you, I'd use my RIGHT to remain silent.

I'd forget that nonsense about an "accidental shoplifting".

By spewing that nonsense, you've ADMITTED your guilt.

Accidental, intentional, same result you stole.

It's best to remain silent.

If you don't qualify for a public defender, your only option will be to hire your own attorney.

One step at a time.

Your lawyer will further instruct you.

Very few people make it out of federal court with a not guilty verdict, even people with lots of money.

Federal prosecutors are extremely proficient at obtaining guilty verdicts.

If I were you, I'd use my RIGHT to remain silent.

I'd forget that nonsense about an "accidental shoplifting".

By spewing that nonsense, you've ADMITTED your guilt.

Accidental, intentional, same result you stole.

It's best to remain silent.
Okay, thank you. I know I screwed up and just wanted to make this process as painless as possible for my dad. Should I request for a public defender before or at my first court date?

Okay, thank you. I know I screwed up and just wanted to make this process as painless as possible for my dad. Should I request for a public defender before or at my first court date?

Did you READ what I wrote, or are you too busy asking questions to READ?

I suggested you appear at the first hearing, where you enter a plea of NOT guilty, and ask the magistrate if you qualify for a public defender.

If you're told NO, you'll have to hire an attorney.

If the magistrate approves your request, you'll be provided further instructions.

Your actions won't hurt your sponsor.

Your actions will probably result in YOU losing your privileges for at least ONE year.

Did you READ what I wrote, or are you too busy asking questions to READ?

I suggested you appear at the first hearing, where you enter a plea of NOT guilty, and ask the magistrate if you qualify for a public defender.

If you're told NO, you'll have to hire an attorney.

If the magistrate approves your request, you'll be provided further instructions.

Your actions won't hurt your sponsor.

Your actions will probably result in YOU losing your privileges for at least ONE year.
Yes I did read it, I guess I'm just worried about showing up to court without legal representation. Thank you for taking the time to advise me, I will wait to see what my public defender/private attorney instructs me to do.

Yes I did read it, I guess I'm just worried about showing up to court without legal representation. Thank you for taking the time to advise me, I will wait to see what my public defender/private attorney instructs me to do.

If you want to hire an attorney today, you can certainly do that.

If you can't afford it, you can go the other route.

It really won't matter, because all that will be done at your first appearance is you enter a plea.

You have three choices, guilty, not guilty, or stand mute.

If you stand mute, the court will enter a not guilty plea on your behalf.

It will slowly heat up after your initial appearance.

What you don't want to do is answer any questions about the charge or the case from this point forward.

Back