lane change accident, was it totally my fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc4ever83

so i was hit on my rear driver side door while i was trying to change into the fast lane, and i had my turn signal on at the time. was it totally my fault? the person who ran into me accellerated after i had the front of my car in his lane. i really dont think its my fault, at least not all of it. :confused:

Unfortunately the insurance companies will probably rule against you. You were the one changing lanes, you hit him. He was beign a jerk, but there unfortunantly appears to be nothign illegal about that.

In most states all drivers are required to attempt to avoid collisions. If you pulled in front of someone it is your fault, but if that other driver accelerated in response to your lane change he was driving wreckless. It will really come down to his word against yours. Keep careful notes of exactly where you were, what speed you were going, estimate of his initial speed and distance, and estimate of his accelerated speed, and any witnesses.

In this case it is your burden to prove that he accelerated, otherwise its your fault.

Very annoyed said:
In most states all drivers are required to attempt to avoid collisions. If you pulled in front of someone it is your fault, but if that other driver accelerated in response to your lane change he was driving wreckless. It will really come down to his word against yours. Keep careful notes of exactly where you were, what speed you were going, estimate of his initial speed and distance, and estimate of his accelerated speed, and any witnesses.

In this case it is your burden to prove that he accelerated, otherwise its your fault.
what if i have a witness in my car with me? does that count? :confused:

If you have a witness that supports your side you have a better chance of convincing your insurance company to fight for you. Sometimes a very well written and well prepared letter mailed to your issurance company along with a letter from your witness can persuade your issurance company to take your side. Consistency in all of you statements is very important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back