Landord is refusing to return deposit, have not recieved certified mail stating so

Status
Not open for further replies.

ML2486

I live in FL and have moved out of my old apartment on the 13th of Oct 2007. My landlord, in FL, has 30 days after I move out to send me a certified letter with his intentions of keeping any potion of the deposit, to which I have 15 days to challenge it. Well, I never received any letter stating such intentions, on the 16th of Nov 2007, my landlord called me and wanted to meet. When we met he presented me with a check and a stack of receipts. The amount of the deposit was $1,000 and he offered me $180. I told him and his wife, who was also present, that this was not acceptable and I didn't agree with most of what I was being charged for.

It should be noted that my unit was flooded from another unit above and was not fully fixed for three months, they never had the carpets cleaned, which they got insurance money to do from the above unit. Well, they deducted carpet cleaning from my deposit ($400). After a heated conversation they told me that I better get a good lawyer and that they are going to add a bunch of furniture to the deductions in the mean time. My questions are, 1) what do I do to get my deposit back at this point? 2) Do I take him to small claims or wait for him? 3) Any advise a young adult could use in this instance.
ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back