Quiet Enjoyment Landlord with Attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo3knows

I have had several problems with my landlord or onsite manager if you will.
The first was when one of the maintenance men used profanity towards me in my apartment and I asked him to leave, The landlord sided with him saying that it's frustrating when tenants don't follow the rukes. Mind you my dishwaher was over flowing so I unscrewed the filter to see if anything was stuck and left it out for the maintenance guy to see that this wasn't the issue and he slammed my dishwasher door using S and F bombs! I knew we had a problem when that was appropriate behavior for the manager.
We have had other incidents since to where now the manager is not supposed to correspond with me directly instead is to go through her supervisor! The other day I received a 3 day notice title "Resident complaint due to cursing and cigarettes".
It instructs me to stop a certain behavior within 3 days or quit the lease. I am no longer on their lease which means I default to the CA standard correct? I am wonderg if it is legal for the manager to instruct me or my guests on what words we can or can not say? I thought we had a constitutional right to say whatever. The noise volume wasn't mentioned because we weren't loud or obnoxious. The neighbor doesnt like the content of our conversation. Is this legal?

If your original lease expired then you are now month to month with the same terms- a monthly lease.
The complaint about language is likely regarding a lease term about others right to quiet enjoyment of the property. They can't control the words you say, but they can fit those words into a blanket statement in the lease and consider it a violation.
If you are smoking in the apartment and not supposed to be then you are in violation and could be evicted if you don't stop.
If you don't address the items in the notice then the landlord could begin an eviction after three days. It would ultimately be up to a judge to determine if you violated the lease and should be removed.
Your choice how to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back