Landlord wants me out by Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

saral23

My boyfriend, Brian, signed a year lease for a condo. The lease states myself and my son as occupants of the premises. I paid $1500 on April 1, 2008 for us to move into the condo. On April 9, 2008 Brian went back to Michigan to find work. The landlord stated that if Brian moved out, my son and I have to leave also. I asked for the lease to just be transferred to my name if that was the issue. I am working 2 jobs - capable of paying the rent each month. Brian had no job. The landlord said that I have to be out by Friday, April 11th because that is what he and Brian decided upon. Furthermore, he was not going to refund any of the money that I put down on the place. I explained to him that I was not trying to break the lease - that I would gladly remain a tenant and pay the rent. Is this legal? Is he allowed to just force us to move out AND keep all the money that I just gave him last week? Like I said, I am not trying to break the lease, I will gladly stay and pay the rent every month.

If you are not on lease you may have no legal ground to stand on. However the time frame to leave may be too quick a quick call to Housing or a Tenant/Landlord Attorney can get you your answers on how soon you are to leave

What about a refund of any of the deposit? I realize that a lease is a lease but, c'mon...$1500 for a week? That is ridiculous. Not only am I forced to leave, but now I have no money for a new place to go to.

1st Month is move in month and deposit comes after you leave and aprtment is inspected. so it would appear you would get some monies back depending on condition of apartment

The apartment is in the exact same condition it was in when I moved in. I had only been there for 6 days when he told me that I have to be out by Friday. Would I be legally incorrect if I stay for 2 months? I did pay first and last months rent. That would at least give me some time to save up a deposit for another place...

I tried to talk to the landlord on the phone about letting me stay in the apartment and he says he refuses to talk to me. Only Brian. I dont understand why he will not rent to me (like I previously stated, I have 2 jobs, Brian had none). Am I missing something?

Seek the counsel of a landlord/tenant attorney as quickly as possible. Check with the local chapter of your ABA for attorneys who provide pro bono services if you cannot afford the fees charged when consulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back