Unlawful Eviction LandLord Vs. Tenant

catcat

I need help and fast. I am being sued by a former landlord. I missed the court date because he served the papers to the house I vacated. I appealed the eviction, paid the money to have it heard at the next court level. I don't know what steps to take next because I don't know the rules of Civil proceeding and I don't have the money to hire an attorney. I moved into a house on 10/27/14. I paid first months, last months and security deposit to move in. The electricity was already on when we moved in, so I just called the utilities company to have it switched into my name. They took my application, and on November 1, 2014 called me and advised that they could not change the utilities over because they had no record of the utilities being on in the property, which means they were on illegally. They advised me that they would be sending someone out to cut the power off, and also gave me the information my landlord needed to have to have the utilities issue corrected. I called my landlord and he told me, F' it I just have free electricity (that was on 11/1/14) I told him that it doesn't work like that they are threatening to turn the services off. For 2-3 weeks I called him, called the power company and nothing. On November 19, 2014, they came and cut the power off. I called the county to complain and they came out did an assessment, saw the utilities off and contacted my landlord. On November 19, 2014 we moved my family to my brother in laws because we had no power. The county gave us a letter stating that the utilities were off and that they owner had to get them on. This was in November (cold weather) so we could not stay in the house. The landlord finally got someone to do the requires things that the power company had requested, but we had already left. On November 30, 2014 after advising the landlord and sending him a letter that we were moving due to his negligence of dealing with the power company, he came and put a 3 day pay or quit on our door for December's rent. He also stated that we owed him a $1,000 back rent. I moved all of my belongings out of his property on November 30,and Dec. 1. We moved in on October 28, 2014 and moved out November 19, 2014. He took me to court stating that I owed him the money. I did not receive the paperwork. The lease he produced was not the correct lease that we agreed upon. The lease was one he gave me to get in my son register for school, but the school would not accept it because my son was 18 and he was not listed on the lease. he never gave me the new lease, because we moved out so quickly due to the power issue. As previously stated I sent him a letter about vacating the property and I also sent him a letter when we moved with the key and forwarding address for my last months rent and security deposit. The court granted him the money for the so called back rent because I was not there to counter his claim (I went by the property) and the service from the Marshall was still taped to the door. I got letters from the neighbors, receipts from storage and uhaul showing that we moved all of our belongings out of his property on the morning of Dec. 1. I paid the $300.00 to appeal the Judges decision, but I don't know what to do now, that we are scheduled for arbitration. I have documents from the county showing we were not in the house, and letters from the county assistance office that helped us with a security deposit on Dec. 17, 2014 to move into a new house on January 1, 2015. PLEASE HELP, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I NEED TO GET READY FOR ARBITRATION.

You take your proof, tell your story, bring your witnesses (and they tell their story), the arbitrator decides.

It would behoove you to get a couple written statements from the utility company and the county/city inspectors.
You could also subpoena everyone you need to appear at the hearing,

Do I have to File any additional Paperwork?

I've already filed, called the utility company and Inspectors received written statements. Is there anything else I need to file with the court? I called an attorney, he wants $825.00 because he said he needs to file as my attorney and 1/4 of my judgment when I win the case to be reimbursed.

I've already filed, called the utility company and Inspectors received written statements. Is there anything else I need to file with the court? I called an attorney, he wants $825.00 because he said he needs to file as my attorney and 1/4 of my judgment when I win the case to be reimbursed.

There are no free lunches. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

Back