Quiet Enjoyment landlord violating lease terms not giving 24 hr notices

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryscoll

My landlord has shown up at my rental property unannounced on 2 occasions and the other times he calls and says he is on his way over. He has never given a 24 hr notice as per stated in our lease. Is he breaking our lease and do I have grounds to hold up a case against him in court? Thanks for any help.

A case for what? What do you expect to get out of this?

Were these for emergency repairs or to answer your requests for repairs? Both do not require a 24 hour notice.

Is this for inside or outside work?

Gail

My lease word for word states that he is to give 24 hr notice for any intent to enter except for in case of emergencies. Non of these were emergencies. They were all inside requests for repairs. I have been advised that due to the accumulation of complaints against this landlord that I could possibly be able to get out of this lease. I am just trying to get second opinions and advice. Please take a look at my previous post from several days ago. This is also another issue that is surrounding this case. Thank you for your input. I truly value any advice.

If your landlord is answering your requests to make repairs, it is unlikely that not giving you 24 hour notice beforehand is justification for you to break your lease without the risk of financial penalty. Your landlord would likely argue (in court) that he is attempting to keep the rental unit safe for you by responding quickly to address repairs.

The 24 hour notice requirement is a bit arbitrary; it is an attempt to prevent landlords from simply walking in on tenants any time day or night. Coming over without notice twice is not likely to be seen by a judge as violating your right to a "quiet enjoyment".

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back