Landlord uses meth in our home

Casi

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
This apartment was placed into my boyfriend's dad's trust, which is managed by other members of the family. His dad has a rich history of neglecting bills. I manage and pay for all the bills, including property taxes, directly to the companies.

His dad and his dad's girlfriend regularly use meth in the apartment. His girlfriend likes to smoke it in the bathroom right next to my room. There also used to be a bunch of homeless people living in our living room for years, but it's only once in a while now. Still, the living room is blocked off from us with a makeshift multi-curtain wall. Neighbors are noticing the suspicious people.

My questions:

1. What is the best way to test for meth residue? I'm not sure which home tests are best. Or is there a company that provides this service?
2. Can I test positive from second-hand smoke and residue?
3. My boyfriend and I don't do meth AT ALL. Totally hate it. Can we get in trouble for living with meth heads?
4. Can the state seize this apartment from his dad? I don't think he is selling or making drugs, but I don't know.
5. The rest of the family wants the apartment to be in my boyfriend's name already, but we're afraid of making his dad angry. Can the state seize the apartment from my boyfriend because of his dad's drug use? Our intention isn't to cover up his drug use, but it's a sensitive issue and we're not sure how to deal with it.
6. Should I report it to the building manager and/or police? We haven't taken any action because we don't want to get kicked out as well. :(

Yes, I'm planning on moving out when I can, but I'm basically just wondering if there is any way to keep the apartment from being lost due to his dad's lifestyle. The rest of the family keeps reminding us to be strong and protect what they had set up for him and his dad because it's meant for my boyfriend to inherit it. Sounded cool in the beginning, but idk now

This apartment was placed into my boyfriend's dad's trust, which is managed by other members of the family. His dad has a rich history of neglecting bills. I manage and pay for all the bills, including property taxes, directly to the companies.

His dad and his dad's girlfriend regularly use meth in the apartment. His girlfriend likes to smoke it in the bathroom right next to my room. There also used to be a bunch of homeless people living in our living room for years, but it's only once in a while now. Still, the living room is blocked off from us with a makeshift multi-curtain wall. Neighbors are noticing the suspicious people.

My questions:

1. What is the best way to test for meth residue? I'm not sure which home tests are best. Or is there a company that provides this service?
2. Can I test positive from second-hand smoke and residue?
3. My boyfriend and I don't do meth AT ALL. Totally hate it. Can we get in trouble for living with meth heads?
4. Can the state seize this apartment from his dad? I don't think he is selling or making drugs, but I don't know.
5. The rest of the family wants the apartment to be in my boyfriend's name already, but we're afraid of making his dad angry. Can the state seize the apartment from my boyfriend because of his dad's drug use? Our intention isn't to cover up his drug use, but it's a sensitive issue and we're not sure how to deal with it.
6. Should I report it to the building manager and/or police? We haven't taken any action because we don't want to get kicked out as well. :(

Yes, I'm planning on moving out when I can, but I'm basically just wondering if there is any way to keep the apartment from being lost due to his dad's lifestyle. The rest of the family keeps reminding us to be strong and protect what they had set up for him and his dad because it's meant for my boyfriend to inherit it. Sounded cool in the beginning, but idk now
Are there any children in the home?

Yes, I'm planning on moving out when I can, but I'm basically just wondering if there is any way to keep the apartment from being lost due to his dad's lifestyle.

There is very little one adult can do to prevent another adult from doing "stupid stuff".

There is SOMETHING one adult can do to save herself/himself from the antics of a stupid adult, GET THE HELL AWAY from the idiot ASAP.

Forget some lousy, two bit, or even $100,000,000 property, unless you place no value of your FREEDOM.

The rest of the family keeps reminding us to be strong and protect what they had set up for him and his dad because it's meant for my boyfriend to inherit it.

Promises mean nothing until the promisor has delivered the items into your possession, care, custody, and control.

As far as the relatives, they'll eagerly lie to you, because if the police arrest miscreants, their freedom won;t be lost.

Your freedom, however, just MIGHT be lost when the dragnet sweeps in to catch the evildoers/lawbreakers.

You, OP, aren't even a relative.

You aren't married the ALLEGED inheritor of the apartment complex.

You have EVERYTHING to lose, and NOTHING to gain.

Last but NOT least, America is such a great country that allows ALL of us to be as stupid as "wanna be".

There is very little one adult can do to prevent another adult from doing "stupid stuff".

There is SOMETHING one adult can do to save herself/himself from the antics of a stupid adult, GET THE HELL AWAY from the idiot ASAP.

Forget some lousy, two bit, or even $100,000,000 property, unless you place no value of your FREEDOM.

Promises mean nothing until the promisor has delivered the items into your possession, care, custody, and control.

As far as the relatives, they'll eagerly lie to you, because if the police arrest miscreants, their freedom won;t be lost.

Your freedom, however, just MIGHT be lost when the dragnet sweeps in to catch the evildoers/lawbreakers.

You, OP, aren't even a relative.

You aren't married the ALLEGED inheritor of the apartment complex.

You have EVERYTHING to lose, and NOTHING to gain.

Last but NOT least, America is such a great country that allows ALL of us to be as stupid as "wanna be".

Thanks. I feel the same way. After trying so hard to keep it together in order to help, it does help to hear it from other people though. Personally, I rather just buy my own house, but I do get to save money for that since these bills are cheaper than renting an apartment elsewhere.

I want to know if there's any last thing I can do. Could his dad sue the executor of his trust if the apartment was placed under my boyfriend's name? The executor suggested this but wanted us to talk to the dad about it.

Could his dad sue the executor of his trust if the apartment was placed under my boyfriend's name?

I would FORGET about your friend EVER receiving any benefit from the property.

You're also being conned by someone.

You have no legal standing to receive anything from a friend.

If you were married, that might change my response.

No need to specualte, because today you are nothing more to the man than his friend.

If you have seen STUFF and you know STUFF, the COPS have seen or know the same things.

Plus, as you recently revealed in your answer to the question:

Are there any children in the home?

No. We did have a problem related to this last year. I don't want to get too into it, but it's not a place I would EVER bring a child into.

The police KNOW everything, even though they may NOT have acted.
If people keep breaking laws, the police will eventually pounce.

There is NOTHING on this mess but legal trouble for you.

The executor suggested this but wanted us to talk to the dad about it.

A trust is an arrangement in which one person, called the TRUSTEE (not the EXECUTOR), controls property for the benefit of another person, called the BENEFICIARY.

The person who created the trust is called the SETTLOR, GRANTOR, or TRUSTOR.

The TRUSTEE doesn't need anyone's permission to speak to the BENEFICIARY, allegedly your friend's father.

A trust is an arrangement in which one person, called the TRUSTEE (not the EXECUTOR), controls property for the benefit of another person, called the BENEFICIARY.

The person who created the trust is called the SETTLOR, GRANTOR, or TRUSTOR.

The TRUSTEE doesn't need anyone's permission to speak to the BENEFICIARY, allegedly your friend's father.

His auntie is the executor of his grandma's will. Before grandma passed, they decided to not give his dad control of his trust due to his recklessness. A monthly allowance was set for his dad to budget his money from his inheritance until he officially retires (he doesn't work). When we found out he wasn't paying for any of the bills again (he had lost the family home three years ago this way), we were given two options:
1. The family sells the apartment (which they had bought for him)
2. Us taking over

The reason why his auntie hasn't talked to his dad is because his dad refuses to talk to the rest of his family and has harassed her in the past.

I'm asking for help on my boyfriend's behalf -- not for what I can gain out of this. Unfortunately, he understands less than I do, so that's why I'm here asking about it. The bills are not too expensive for me, it's cheaper than renting my own apartment, and I can still save money for buying my own home. I'm not asking about my legal standing in taking anything from anyone.

My main concern was the meth problem.

My main concern was the meth problem.
I will address this (^) only.

If the police raid the home you will be arrested. You should stop using the drug house to save money. Find another apartment and leave these troubled people behind.

Back