Landlord threw out entire shed of my equiptment

Ben Holmes

Jurisdiction
Maine
Location- Maine. Basically I signed a year lease in an apartment that ends this month. When I moved in he told me about a storage shed I could "Feel free to use" out behind the house. So I did. I stored studded winter tires, winter clothing, and other belongings that are worth around $1,000. Haven't been in the shed for about a month because I didn't need anything.

So I've been packing all my stuff to move into another apartment next week and I go to clean out my stuff from the shed. GONE. Everything. Shed has been sweeped clean, even.

My landlord has actively been trying to sell the building for 2 months now. Only thing I can think of is about 2 weeks ago a realtor was showing the property so he wanted everything clean.

Called my landlord tonight and asked if he cleaned out the shed. He states "Oh yeah I had *Handyman's name* clean it out a while ago, you guys really stored stuff in there? It leaks! I told the handyman he can keep anything he wants form the shed". He gives me the handymans number and no answer. Currently waiting for any call back from landlord or handyman, but super pissed off and shaking with anger. Don't have renters insurance either. Definitely will with the new place. Any options here ??

Any options here ??

What was done MIGHT amount to theft.
You could speak with your local law enforcement agency about the matter and see if law enforcement can be of any assistance to you.

You have NO proof that anyone did anything, except a phone call where you allege the landlord admitted to having your items removed by the handyman.

If the landlord were to tell the same thing to the police/sheriff/constable/marshal, you'd have a written record of the event.

Based upon that written record, you could potentially recover your losses in small claims court.

Had you written to the landlord via email, you might already be in possession of the goods to cook the landlord's goose.

Good luck.

I suggest mail/email is best.
Write to him and list the property you are missing and the estimated value. He won't want to be responsible for it and will likely direct you to the handyman again.

Meanwhile, also work on how you can prove your losses and the value of the property.

Maine is a one party consent state for the recording of conversations. That means you can record a conversation between you and the landlord. If you can get him to admit he authorized the removal by the handyman, you'll be ahead of the game.
I good way to do this is along the lines of "I lost the paper, what was the name and phone number of the guy you gave my stuff to?"

Back