Landlord/Tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemQ

I need some advice on a landlord/tenant situation. My roommate and I were sued by our landlord for nonpayment of rent and damages to the apt some 7 yrs ago. A judgement was entered for the plaintiff for an amount twice was much as we actually owed as the landlord exagerated the costs. My roommate was responsible for most of the charges, but the lease was a joint so I was held as equally responsible. Without the aid of an attorney we were unable to challenge the case. After making a few payments that amounted to what we thought we owed, my roommate left the state eventhough he still owed more money and left me with the balance. The landlord keeps coming after me as my roommate moved to a state that makes him exempt from further pursuit by the court.( Atleast that what the plaintiff's attorney said.) I recently offered to settle for 1/2 of the remaining balance as I was going to borrow the funds from my parents. the loan fell through and I was fired from my job. I have not been able to secure gainful employment that would allow me to pay such a balance as I am seriuos financial harship. I am overwhelmed by debt from other creditors and can barely pay my living expenses. I recently received a letter stating the plaintiff had filed a motion to have my deposit account assets frozen and for one of the financial institutions to answer interrogatories. I don't have any active bank accounts open. Can they legally do this eventhough I am unemployed and cannot pay anything? And how can my roommate become exempt by moving to another state?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back