Security Deposit Landlord seeks keeping security deposit after broken lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica50

Tenants signed an 18 month lease which should have terminated April 2013. I typed 2012. Now they want to break the lease and will owe me 10 months. Also lease states to give me 60 day notice. They only gave me 30. When I told them what their options were, forfeit the deposit and they might owe the remainder of the lease for 10 months or give me 60 days notice. They hired a trial attorney to send me a letter that they want their deposit back and the lease states April 2012. Told Attorney I had documentation to support they signed the 18 month lease. The 60 days he states can be arbitrated as not being clear. Everything is in bold print, underlined, and initialed. She is lying to the attorney that they only signed a 6 month lease. He states what was signed stands and he can argue my documentation.

All I want is to retain the deposit if I do not find someone to lease it by next month. It takes about 3 months to lease the property. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you to the person who sent me a PM. I was not able to reply because I do not have enough post counts. I will definitely look into the websites. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back