Landlord Retaliation?

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Im 35, disabled on SSI and HUD. When I moved into my apartment roughly 3 months ago, I wasnt allowed control of the premovein paper when I did a walkthrough with the manager. I told her Id like her to write down there are at least 7 burn holes in the carpet from prior tenants. She didnt. Since Im paying a deposit, I felt scammed. I would ask the property manager what shed do to fix the situation. She always says its the corporate offices decision. I went above her to her regional, corporate manager. I emailed them several times. Because Ive threatened legal action, I get this terrible letter in the mail says I can mutually agree to break the lease and move without penalty with a right to cure. Says 10 days to contact management. I contacted their attorney that sent the letter, indicating Id like to cure the situation. They also accused me in writing of interfering with management and their ability to succeed, disorderly conduct when Ive not physically threatened anyone, no yelling, etc, disturbing peace in the community, criminal activity telephone harassment to their management... Corporate gave me another walkthrough paper and still hasnt fixed anything. These are hud voucher apartments. I indicated when I moved in that I had a spider problem here. It finally got so bad that I had to set off foggers because my body was covered in bites. 2 days later their exterminator inspects my home and finds nothing. Go figure. I set the foggers off. Now theyre accusing me of making false maintenance calls and interfering with their ability to succeed. The entire community here is feeling betrayed by this company. They dont repaint walls, change carpet in over 10 years for people here. How do I deal with this? Its a complete lie on their part. I feel like I have no legal recourse because they have bigger money and I cant afford representation.

Take the option to move.

Isn't it obvious they don't take you seriously?

I told her Id like her to write down there are at least 7 burn holes in the carpet from prior tenants. She didnt.

So...did you write something down about it? Or better yet, take pictures?

Since Im paying a deposit, I felt scammed.

Scammed? How so?

I would ask the property manager what shed do to fix the situation. She always says its the corporate offices decision.

What "situation"? Are you talking about burn holes? Your landlord has no obligation to fix that.

Ive threatened legal action

Huh? Legal action against whom and for what? Frivolously threatening legal action is generally not a good idea -- especially when the party you're threatening is in a financially stronger position than you.

How do I deal with this?

Well...you apparently have the option to move.

If I stay because I cant afford to move, am I essentially admitting guilt?

Admitting guilt regarding what? Nothing in your post suggests any criminal activity.

If I stay because I cant afford to move, am I essentially admitting guilt?

If you did nothing, who can prove you did something?

The point here is don't discuss any allegations made against you by anyone.

People with money only listen to people who have money.

You say your finances are short, that's why you're getting no attention.

If you're offered a way to exit without admitting to anything, take it, run fast, run far.

If you choose to stay, expect more bug bites, less attention, more disrespect, and more abuse.

It also appears those seven cigarette burns will stay, even if you leave.

Back