Landlord refuses to fix property/slumlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

cweston

My family moved into a rental property approxiamtely 2 months ago. The property was semi furnished and the lease stated as is upon move in. When we moved into the property several items were promised to be fixed by the landlord's personal handy man. It took the handyman 3 weeks to replace a vanity in the downstairs bathroom. He made several appointments and was always a no show. I found out later the guy was not being paid but working off a debt. No wonder he was always a no show. We could not use the downstairs bathroom for three weeks.

None of the other items that were promised to be repaired have been touched. The outlets are hanging out of walls, the dishwasher is backed up with water that smells like sewer. Three people have told the landlord that it is done and it is 20 years old. He will not replace it or have it fixed properly. We can't even use the kitchen because of the smell.

The kitchen ceiling was never finished as promised. There is still no heat in 2 of the rooms.

Every cabinet or handle is broken but we dont find out until we try to open it.

The landlord has left furniture outside for his daughter and it has been out there for a month. When we moved in a ton of old carpet was left on patio. I finally took it to the dump after three weeks and the landlord did not want to pay for its removal.

My sons room smells horrible. The carpet was replaced upstairs however the handyman told us that the floor was not cleaned when the carpet was put in and so it smells like urine and we do not use it. The outlet here were never fixed as well.

The landlord left two cars in the garage and we have to pay for private storage.

The basement was left a mess. It smells also like sewage which the smell comes into the house when the heat is turned on.

We have all been very sick since we turned the heat on.

There are two apartments upstairs and they were just inspected by a rental inspector, however, the landlord lied and told the inspector that his brother was living in the main house so that he didn't have to get the home inspected.

The two tennents upstairs play the guitars and music so loud 24 hours a day. We we told that we would never even know that they were there.

The owner came into town last month for business and my wife came home and found him in the house.

The house is a complete fire hazzard (wires and oulets hanging out everywhere) and I want to get my family out of here but legally.

I have been told by people that know the homeowner and they said that he has been a slumlord for years. The owner has been notified of our position and refuses to do anything.

Please help! I need to get my family out of here for the health and safety reasons. We have only been here since August 15th and we signed a one year lease.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back