Landlord not returning deposit due to fake cleaning charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

daac1688

I rented out a room in a house in SAN JOSE on July 20th and moved out Oct 10th. I gave the landlord 30day notice as required. Now that I have moved out, he is charging me $95 for painting, $100 for carpet cleaning, $100 for bathroom cleaning. This is for a 9x10 room with private bath. Before I moved out, I personally cleaned the room and bathroom to make sure everything is clean. Because of those "cleaning" charges, I will not be getting any of my deposit back.

I contacted him to meet up with him a week after I moved out to see the receipts. He failed to show up at the appointed time and did not pick up any of my calls to him. I emailed him and he explained that he was ill and that he had to replace the grout, replace a lightbulb, found mold..etc etc...all of which I am stupified by because I personally cleaned EVERYTHING myself. He emailed me back an excel attachment of the cleaning charges

His cleaning charges do not seem reasonable to me.

I returned his email and asked him for the ACTUAL scanned copies of the bills and it has been two days now. He has not replied. What should I do? Do I have any case here? Am I able to bring him to small claims court? What is the process? I took some photos of the place before I started cleaning but I did not take photos of where he claims the mold should've been.

If you wish to pursue this and you do not hear from the landlord (and it has only been 2 days; not everyone has a scanner) then you consider filing a lawsuit against him in Small Claims.

Please note that while $100 might seem excessive for one room, around where I live steam cleaning companies require at least a $99 charge before they'll come out to clean.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back