Cleaning, Repairs Landlord isnt fixing central air

steven28

Jurisdiction
Indiana
My central air isnt working and for 3 days i have been getting told by my landlord it will get fixed and either no one shows up and when i try to call her she never answers her phone.Can i take money out of my rent to hire someone or what are my options,i have bad asthmaand its hard to breathe when its hot out and i have no air.

Don't withhold rent. Bad idea.

If it is that much of an emergency for you then you could get the AC serviced yourself and hope the landlord will reimburse you, but better to get the landlord to authorize it first so you know it will be honored. Otherwise wait for service.
Check your lease agreement for a procedure to notify the landlord of problems. Many leases state that notice should be done in writing. If you haven't given notice as required in the lease then you haven't given notice.

My central air isnt working and for 3 days i have been getting told by my landlord it will get fixed and either no one shows up and when i try to call her she never answers her phone.Can i take money out of my rent to hire someone or what are my options,i have bad asthmaand its hard to breathe when its hot out and i have no air.

Rather than spend money to repair it, that you probably will never get back, take a short staycation or vacation.

The big summer holiday (4th of July) is approaching, and when holidays arrive, things slow down.

A local air conditioned hotel, a short vacation to a nearby (or faraway) place in summer, memories are made of that.

When you return, rested and happy, all might be well in your home.

.Can i take money out of my rent to hire someone or what are my options,

Read the Indian Code Section 32-31-85 for the Landlord's obligations and 32-31-8-6 for your remedy. Follow it to the letter.

2016 Indiana Code :: TITLE 32. PROPERTY :: ARTICLE 31. LANDLORD-TENANT RELATIONS :: CHAPTER 8. LANDLORD OBLIGATIONS UNDER A RENTAL AGREEMENT

I suggest you print out those sections, attach it to your written notice, and advise the LL that he would be paying your attorney fees if this went to court.

Rather than spend money to repair it, that you probably will never get back, take a short staycation or vacation.

The big summer holiday (4th of July) is approaching, and when holidays arrive, things slow down.

A local air conditioned hotel, a short vacation to a nearby (or faraway) place in summer, memories are made of that.

When you return, rested and happy, all might be well in your home.
i doubt it besides im poor i cant afford a vacation so thats out.

Back