Landlord is using my electric

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I just found out that my landlord has her heating system and my heating system running off of my electric. My lease says that heat and hot water are included in rent and I am responsible for electric. She was asking for $2100 a month but because we were a family of 6 she asked for more money $2250 a month because of the water and hot water usage. My electric bill has been over $200 a month. So basically I am double paying for hot water for my apartment and also hers. What can I do about this matter?

What can I do about this matter?

You might wish to contact the electric company to confirm in WRITING your suspicions, and see if the electric company can correct this conflict.

Once you have the data in writing, you can speak with the landlord about the problem.

Before you speak to the landlord, you might wish to visit two local attorneys and see if she is in violation of any county, township, or municipal ordinances, or any obscure state laws.

Most attorneys will offer a prospective client a free initial consultation free of charge.

Once you have all of that information, then and only then, speak with the landlord.

make sure you and your spouse meet with the landlord, be calm, be professional, don't be confrontational, and be brief.

You also need to know what remedy you wish to pursue.

Frankly, if I was being cheated, I would eventually want to get out the lease and rent from a more HONEST person.

You might wish to contact the electric company to confirm in WRITING your suspicions, and see if the electric company can correct this conflict.

Once you have the data in writing, you can speak with the landlord about the problem.

Before you speak to the landlord, you might wish to visit two local attorneys and see if she is in violation of any county, township, or municipal ordinances, or any obscure state laws.

Most attorneys will offer a prospective client a free initial consultation free of charge.

Once you have all of that information, then and only then, speak with the landlord.

make sure you and your spouse meet with the landlord, be calm, be professional, don't be confrontational, and be brief.

You also need to know what remedy you wish to pursue.

Frankly, if I was being cheated, I would eventually want to get out the lease and rent from a more HONEST person.

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I wrote a letter to my landlord with pictures of my electric panel when I gave her this months rent. she is wanting me to revue our lease and add in the electric and charge me more money. $2300.00 so she has already admitted to it. just don't know what to do. I guess contact a lawyer

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I wrote a letter to my landlord with pictures of my electric panel when I gave her this months rent. she is wanting me to revue our lease and add in the electric and charge me more money. $2300.00 so she has already admitted to it. just don't know what to do. I guess contact a lawyer

I'd work with the electric company and report the scam she has been working.

I'd find out HOW much money she owes me from the electric company by virtue of her little scam.

I'd get that in the form of a letter from the electric company.

I'd then talk to a lawyer, to find out what my legal rights are at the moment.

I would also start looking for a new apartment, and I wouldn't sign anything to change the lease.

Right now, based on your recitation of events, you have the scamming landlord over a barrel.

Just a thought and I'm not telling you what to do nor is it legal advice. Confirming that this may be an incident where there is potentially a theft of electricity is an important step to take and document. An admission is certainly good too! And if you need to find another apartment and the landlord insists on additional terms or implies some other action she may take, consider the facts for what they are. I'd find it unusual for a landlord to consider retaining an attorney to engage in any action in landlord tenant court, e.g. eviction or non-payment of rent, if they had to admit that the tenant's problem stems from a truly indecent act such as this one. I much agree that if you are correct, it is the landlord who should be more concerned.

Back