Landlord hold security for new leasee???

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsetroommate

This is a different issue that I am having I reside in WI.

I co-signed lease with relative. I paid the security deposit and the pet deposit in full myself. $1000 total.

I have sent in a release waiver so that roommate would be able to start new lease with different roommates.

My lease is ineffective as of August 31st 08. The new lease starts September 1st 08, so there is no penalty to me for breaking lease before terms are complete. Under lease agreement if a tenant chooses to break lease they are responsible for advertising expenses, rent and utilities until rerented. It is already rerented and no advertising had to be done.

My landlords tell me that I will not return my sercurity deposit back because it will stay with the property until it has been "properly vacated" so that damage inspection can be done. I do understand that. So they say that since the house will not be completely vacated for 21 days the time they are alotted to due inspection they will not return security.
The landlord company mind you they have alot of rental properties in my area and build custom homes for people. Say that I have to collect this money from my roommate who never paid his half in the first place.

Could someone explain how they can legally take me off the lease, start a completely new lease with new renters listed as occupants and not return security deposits that I had paid???

It just doesn't make sense they can clear me from the property but not return security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back