Security Deposit Landlord hasn't returned deposit.

victoryvee

I was renting a house in Georgia for a year, and left on 5/30/15. My landlord told me to leave the keys and my forwarding address on the counter, and he would send me my deposit. I cleaned the apartment and documented everything, but never recieved an inspection form notifying me that he had checked it out afterward (the new tennants moved in the day after I left). By 6/21/15 I had yet to recieve anything, so I called him and left a message. When he called me back three days later, he told me to call his office and that his daughter would take my forwarding address again, but she's out of town for the week so it might be a while. I left a message there on 6/27/15, waited another week without recieving anything, and called back again today (7/10/15). I start leaving a message asking if my address has even been received, and then Landlord picks up and tells me that it's been written down but his daughter's out of town for the week (again?) so it might not get mailed out until Thursday. At this point it's past the 30 day period he has to return my deposit, and doesn't seem at all willing to speed up the process (I'm just out of college, so I'm wondering if he thinks I'll just drop it/forget). Do I have any room for legal action here? I know I could take him to court and potentially sue him for three times the amount withheld, but I want to know how much leverage I have and if I can resolve this favorably.

Back