Landlord Harrasment, Eviction, Now Custody Problems - Slander ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njguy

I have been involved in a wild ride with my "landlord" and it just crashed.

I rented an apartment in January 2005, turns out the guy I rented from did not own the house but had a contract to buy it. He is a Real Estate agent and signed a lease as the ladlord.

End of January (24th) I came home to find a note on the door saying I was locked out and my belongings were in the garage ... after an Order to Show Cause I learned that he did not own the house and despite a signed order from a judge to allow me back in everyone refused.

Three days later I got back in and my stuff was trashed, money stolen and other items missing ... I filed an amended complaint for damages which is finally being heard next week.

This guy filed for eviction for non payment of rent immediately (February 1), heard March 1 and with amended rent for March I owed 2 months ... I had been considering bankruptcy and decided to file because if any landlord in history deserved the grief it was him. I filed Prose Chapter 7 on March 2nd. He file for relief from the stay and I hired an attorney for the C7.

This attorney told me to let my case be dismissed and we would refile, busting this guys chops ... unfortunately the landlord got relief and a warrant for removal right away and I got a knock on the door last Monday from a sheriff's officer ... I was out in the street with no notice and my bankruptcy attorney has simply blown me off.

Now the REAL issue .... I am divorced 2+ years with two kids (4 and 5), an Ex from hell who has never let up on custody and actually I have very generous parenting time which I fought for ...

Now the landlord gets possession of the apartment and my belongings, goes through my papers, contacts my Ex and tells her about the eviction then send an email that he has found drugs, empty beer bottles all over the house and there is a history of police coming to my home ... I don't do drugs, don't even drink socially and the only police activity has been the landlord calling them over and over without any actual action or complaints being filed ...

A custody mediator involved in my divorce has now sent a letter to a Judge saying that she has "reports" of all of the landlord's claims and recommends that I lose my parenting time until I undergo drug screening, etc.

We are heading to court tomorrow .... I can deal with the custody and have already had two drug tests this evening but what can I do to this prick landlord ie slander, defamation ??? And how do I proceede ?

skewer him!!!

SUE. He is apparently someone with attachable assets & income. Based on what you say, it is not ouside the realm of possibility that you can get Counsel on a % basis like in other personal injury suits. You certainly have damsges ( defamation, effects on kids, etc, etc) ... prove them and go to the bank!!!! I, too, am from the Garden State.

... further ...

... too bad you got a lawyer for the Ch 7 ... they are simple & parties like your LL can't do squat about it ... you are practically untouchable, financially, vis a vis your scumbag LL

... and ...

you have an action for malpractice & you should file a complaint with the Supreme Court through the Attorney DRB ... lucky you ... a scumbag foa a LL & an incompetent fool for a lawyer ... do not pay him + you should be able to get your $$$$$$$$$$$$s back!!!!

Where to go next

Thanks for the reply. How on earth do you find a lawyer on a % ? All of the TV ads are great but actually getting beyond the free consultation is the trick ... I'll bet "My landlord" is as far as I'll get :(

Does any one have a recommendation ????

... what lawyer ...

I would check the net & the Yellow Pages. Also, if you are particularly industrious, stop at the Cty Courthouse & find a court clerk w/experience re some one in the field (veteran clerks know who is good) or when you spot a lawyer loitering outside a courtroom (they stand-out, you know), pose the question to them re, ' ... do they know a lawyer who ... ? or pose the question to the County Bar Association .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back