Landlord foreclosure - my tenant rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCF1Slider

My roomates and I were served with a summons for our landlord stating the mortgage company has filed a lawsuit against her for non-payment. The summons states the landlord has 20 days to respond in writing. We are in our 8th month of a 12-month lease and have fulfilled our responsibilities as tenants throughout. The landlord has brought her "friend" by the property who may potentially purchase the property from her... but there is no guarantee. I want to know what our legal rights are as tenants, whether we can move out without being penalized or if we have to file some sort of paperwork... ???

The summons you received has the name and phone number of the mortgage company's lawyer responsible for the foreclosure. You should contact the lawyer as soon as possible, identify yourself as a tenant and tell the lawyer you have questions.

1) Ask if the court has appointed a Receiver to collect rent for the property and ask to be contacted by the receiver if one is appointed.

a) If a Receiver has been named, you should get papers instructing you
how to pay your rent.
b) If no Receiver has been appointed, you should continue to pay rent to
your landlord. It is very important that you get a receipt for any rent
payments made.

2) If you have been told no to pay anyone, call your attorney immediately for advice. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back