Rent, Utilities Landlord does not provide heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnymoon

I rent a room in a house of a family. My rent included electricity, internet and water. However, my landlord does not provide heat with the reason "It is so expensive to pay for electricity." She does not open the heater until December. She said that it was too early to open the heat in October and November. If I buy a heater, she would charge me more for those months. She told me to wear more clothing in the house. Coming to America from a tropical country, my body is still really sensitive with the cold. Therefore, even with more clothing, I still feel uncomfortable and even got cold in October. It sounds unreasonable for me because my rent is included electricity.

Is she breaking the law? Is there anyways I can do to get the heat.
We do not have paper contract about the rent, we just have verbal contract when I moved in. Am I wrong if I rent a room without a paper contract?

I will really appreciate all your responses.

OP, yes, it is best to have a written contract when renting property in the USA.

Your landlord might even be renting you an illegal accommodation.

In some jurisdictions, renting rooms is not permitted.

The northeastern US is particularly restrictive about renting rooms and apartments.

I can't tell you if your room is being rented illegally.

You can check with your city's building inspection department for an answer.

But, be advised, if it is illegal; you will be forced to move.

The good news is you won't have to pay any rent you might owe.

The best solution is to move.

Give proper notice and get your own place.

Why live where you are uncomfortable?

Yeah, yeah, yeah; you can't afford to move.

Then you'll have to live with your choices and pocketbook.

I rent a room in a house of a family. My rent included electricity, internet and water. However, my landlord does not provide heat with the reason "It is so expensive to pay for electricity." She does not open the heater until December. She said that it was too early to open the heat in October and November. If I buy a heater, she would charge me more for those months. She told me to wear more clothing in the house. Coming to America from a tropical country, my body is still really sensitive with the cold. Therefore, even with more clothing, I still feel uncomfortable and even got cold in October. It sounds unreasonable for me because my rent is included electricity.

Is she breaking the law? Is there anyways I can do to get the heat.
We do not have paper contract about the rent, we just have verbal contract when I moved in. Am I wrong if I rent a room without a paper contract?

I will really appreciate all your responses.

Massachusetts actually has something called "heating laws"; the requirements for a landlord are outlined in the attached:

http://blog.werentboston.com/?p=24

These state that between September 16 and June 14 (wow; by June 14 we here in the south are sweltering!) a landlord must provide heat in the range of not less than 68 degrees and not more than 78 degrees between the hours of 7 am and 11 pm and not less than 64 degrees all other times.

You might wish to review this and discuss the issue with your landlord.

Gail

Thanks so much for your information army judge, I will use your information in the future when I look for a new room.
However, I have to fix the heating problem for now before I get a new place.

Thanks Gail for your information about the "heating law" in Massachuetts. I will discuss with her, with reference you give me, I believe that she would accept my request.

Massachusetts actually has something called "heating laws"; the requirements for a landlord are outlined in the attached:

http://blog.werentboston.com/?p=24

These state that between September 16 and June 14 (wow; by June 14 we here in the south are sweltering!) a landlord must provide heat in the range of not less than 68 degrees and not more than 78 degrees between the hours of 7 am and 11 pm and not less than 64 degrees all other times.

You might wish to review this and discuss the issue with your landlord.

Gail

JUNE?! Gosh!

that's...a little crazy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back