Landlord collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

hvhv

Hello, I had severe problems in my apt (6K) in 2009 so I stopped paying rent. The Landlord took me to court but before seeing the judge the attorney for the landlord gave me a deal saying that I pay the rent in next 15 days by when the apt will be repaired. I agreed for that but the repairs were never done & I vacated the apt on Oct 31 2009 with still a lot of problems in the apt with HPD inspections etc and also after a mutual oral agreement with the landlord.
Also I had another apt(6G) in the same building for my cousin but I was the guarantor for that apt. That apt also was in the same condition and vacated on the same day on Oct 31 2009. But after speaking to the landlord about the rent we came to an agreement for an amount and I paid with a check for the same amount in Dec 2009. But in August 2010 the landlord took my cousin and me (as a guarantor) to court for a unpaid rent and added unreasonable charges for that apt and claiming additional money. The case went to court and finally dismissed by the judge when I provided all the rent checks and the final balance etc I owed and paid. But this case was for my cousin's apt only but all the papers served in both our names and judgement also. I tried presenting my apt issues in the court but the judge did not allow saying this case is about apt 6G only and we have to discuss about this one only. But happy that the case was dismissed
But now I found out the landlord is collecting that amount of the rent I owed for 6K from the agreement in the court in Aug 2009 after 2 years by a direct withdrawl from the bank saying that there is a court judgement for it.
Is there any way I could stop this or any kind of legal advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your help and time.
Ram

I suggest you speak with a lawyer.
You potentially have recourse against your former landlord.
But, you need to take all papers, documents, and judgments to the lawyer.
This is too complicated for an exact answer here.
See a lawyer tomorrow.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD

Can you recommend to any lawyers dealing with these kind of cases in NYC.
Thanks for your help
Ram

Can you recommend to any lawyers dealing with these kind of cases in NYC.
Thanks for your help
Ram
No, but ask your friends, family, associates for some names. Or, right here on this site there is a lawyer referral page. Check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back