Landlord Charging Me For Carpet Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlhiner

We just moved from one apartment complex to another through the same rental agency, and several days ago received a bill for $850, because they replaced the carpet in our old apartment after inspection. The damage was claimed to be due to cat urine that seeped through the carpet into the wood. However, only a few days before we moved out, they had professionals check for cat damage, and they said there was none. They say that the only way to proceed with a dispute is to write a letter stating why we shouldn't have to pay, and then they will compare the move-in damage reports with the move-out damage reports, to see if a mistake was made. Obviously, they will find that something was written in the move-out report that wasn't in the move-in report, so this seems silly to me.

I'm wondering how to proceed. Should I even write the requested letter, or should I immediately contact the cat-inspecting company and obtain the final damage report, and include this with my letter? Rent is due in a couple days. Would it be incriminating somehow to turn in rent without acknowledging the report if my contest letter is delayed? If they decline my contention, how should I proceed?

Thank you! Sorry I can't be more specific about my questions. Just looking for general advice, I guess.

Last edited:
Just about all states give a landlord/management a certain amount of time to return the security deposit after the tenant has vacated the unit/returned the keys. In Oregon this is 30 days.

Often damage (such as cat urine into carpet) is not found until after the tenants have moved out and the rental unit has been closed up for a couple of days. The odor from cat urine in rugs will tend to increase with time.

And, yes, the treatment is to replace the rug and the pad and to seal the floors underneath as cat urine is highly concentrated in urea (the diet of a cat is high in protein) and impossible to remove permanently without this treatment.

However, this bill should represent the prorated cost of replacing the carpet, not the entire cost of a new carpet. Carpet life is prorated (typically 5 to 7 years in rental property) based on the remaining "life" of this damaged carpet.

Gail

Yes... figure that the carpet was already X years old when you moved in. You can work to get this amount reduced.
If you truly feel you should not have to pay the bill then do not pay it. It sounds as though your initial deposit was simply transferred to be used at the new unit you moved in to, so they are billing you rather than making a deduction from the deposit.
If you decline to pay the bill they have one option- take the matter to court and have a judge order you to pay. That will also be your opportunity to explain the circumstances, including the age of the carpet, and see if the judge will reduce your portion that you are responsible for.
If they decide to use your deposit (which is now for the unit you are occupying) then that brings up a new problem, since some time down the road when you move out you will be expecting that refund and they will say "tough cookies". Do what you can to make sure they don't mess with your deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back