Landlord changed his mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamieR82

My fiancee and i decided to get a puppy and found one that we absolutley loved. He is a german rottweiler. Before purchasing the puppy we went and talked to the landlord and asked if we could get him. The landlord said that he did not have a problem with it but being he is a rottweiler we would have to find an insurance company that would cover him because his would not. I spoke with my insurance agent and they will cover him so i put a policy in effct immediatly ( they even talked with the landlords insurance company to make sure everything was ok) After getting the go ahead from both insurance companies we went and got our puppy!! Now a few weeks later the landlord "changed his mind" and says we have to get rid of the puppy or get out. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

Attempt to find out why the landlord has changed his mind regarding the puppy. If he is worried about damage that a young pup can do, ask if presenting him with a pet deposit would help change his mind.

Gail

It turns out that his mother across the street doesnt care for rottweilers. We even offered to socialize the puppy with her and anyone else.

Did you, by any chance, get anything in writing from the landlord giving his approval for you to get a puppy?

While "mom" is likely to override a tenants wishes, it seems a bit unfair that he gave his approval and now has backed off on this.

Gail

No we didnt get anything in writing. Everything has been done with a "handshake", there is no lease or anything. In the future i will have to make sure that everything is in writing, i guess a mans word and handshake arent what they used to be.

Is the rental unit in an area where the landlord can easily find replacement tenants? He may possibly be bluffing in regards to the "get out" comment.

If he is not, make certain you get the information that he terminated whatever lease you have in writing so he does not come back to claim you owe additional monies.

Gail

Gail took the words from my mouth.

If it's a complaint from someone in the area the squeaky wheel may get some grease and stop squeaking.

My guess is that if you take care not to expose the dog to the person who's concerned it will be "water under the bridge".

Did the landlord issue a written notice to remove the dog? :)

We r really not in an area that he could easily get another tenant, however he has been trying to sell the place and we once talked about buying it. The longer we have lived here though the more problems we have found with the place. ( leaking roof that has lead to actual fungus growing in the ceiling corners in the bathroom, among many other things) Maybe since we r no longer really considering buying this is his way to get us out. I will definetlymake sure that anything done with him further is in writing. We are not going to actually hurry up and get out because with have recieved nothing from him legally saying that we have to leave. All of our rent is paid so until he gives us legal documents to leave( a notice to quit) we are just sticking it out.

Last edited:
No we didnt get anything in writing. Everything has been done with a "handshake", there is no lease or anything. In the future i will have to make sure that everything is in writing, i guess a mans word and handshake arent what they used to be.

Without getting the approval in an amendment to your lease agreement, an oral approval wouldn't have been legal anyway.

The landlord never gave you his approval, because it couldn't be done orally.

The law does not allow oral agreements regarding property.

There is nothing you can do, except move, if you wish to own a dog.

Otherwise, you can maintain things as they were, before dog ownership entered into your thoughts.

Last edited:
No we have recieved nothing saying that we have to get rid of him or leave. This is just what he said. Our dog has a 15 foot tie out right outside our back door, he goes out and uses the bathroom then comes back in the house. We keep the yard picked up, so besides from the tie out you cant even tell there is a dog here. He is also being trained with "police methods" my fiancee took a training class from a police trainer and our dog is doing very well with them. You give him a hand signal and he immediatly complies.

No we have recieved nothing saying that we have to get rid of him or leave. This is just what he said. Our dog has a 15 foot tie out right outside our back door, he goes out and uses the bathroom then comes back in the house. We keep the yard picked up, so besides from the tie out you cant even tell there is a dog here. He is also being trained with "police methods" my fiancee took a training class from a police trainer and our dog is doing very well with them. You give him a hand signal and he immediatly complies.

If you persist in keeping the dog, I suspect you'll soon receive your notice to quit.

If it came down to we absolutely had no suitable place to go we would get rid of the dog. However with the amount of money we have invested in him it would be losing a lot if we got rid of him. Also there is no written documentation of anything with this place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back