Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Lady accuse friend and I of "stalking and harassing" her because we were parked near her house.

schoelenbailey

Jurisdiction
California
A friend of mine and I were hanging out in my car (Toyota Highlander 2007) early morning along a neighborhood street in a community that I live in. It was just as the sun was coming up, around 6:00 a.m. We had planned to take morning film photography with the lighting. We were resting in the car, listening to music and talking.

Right as we were planning on heading out to go to Starbucks to get breakfast, we noticed a lady filming us with a small black camera on her driveway across the street (keep in mind this a complete stranger to both of us). I had noticed her walking in and out of the house to her car and back, I assumed this lady was preparing to go to work. Until we saw her starring at us with the camera. My friend pointed this out and I wasn't sure if she was texting someone on a cellphone or video taping us. We were very confused by what she was actually doing, but for the most part, we assumed she was video taping us for some reason.

My friend suggested that we left, I agreed because it seemed she was video taping us and I was beginning to assume she had a problem. I backed out the car from the street, then before leaving I rolled down my window to speak with her, in curiousity to what she was doing and to assure her there was no problem.

I held up my hand to wave, I said "Hello Mam?". I was unsure what else to say because I wasn't exactly sure what was going on, so I greeted her with a confused "hello".

She inched up off her driveway and was now standing near the edge of it and responded "It's against the law in California to stalk and harras". I couldn't make out that she said this at first, I thought I heard something about "grass". The first thought that came to mind in hearing this was that she was upset about us being near her neighbors grass or something. I must have said something along the lines of "sorry?" or "what's that?". She repeated herself following it with "I'm filming you" or "I've got it on tape". I made out what she was saying this time.

At this point I was in a bit of shock and confusion because I had not been stalking her nor harassing her - I had not even spoken a word to her. It was difficult for me to understand why she was convinced my friend and I were harassing or stalking her. We had glanced at her a couple of times due to peripheral vision, I noticed she was walking in and out of the house but I thought absolutely nothing of it at the time. I assumed it was just some lady leaving for work.

After she accused us of stalking and harassing her it is hard to remember exactly what we said in response to each other. The conversation lasted about 15 seconds total. All I remember was trying to speak to her politely and reason with her while in shock of the situation. I believe her last words spoken to us were something along the lines of "I don't have to speak with you" as she got into her car. I believe my last words we were "we're not doing anything we are just hanging out". Attempting to reassure her we were not trying to cause her any trouble and simply just hanging out along the neighborhood road. I spoke politely and honestly just wanted to speak with her about the misunderstanding but she stubbornly got into her car and refused to speak to me.

After she got into her car I looked over at my friend shocked, confused, feeling threatened by this lady accusing us of this crime. We then drove off shocked, confused and frightened by what this lady had said to us.

Now my question her is: what is the commonality of misunderstandings like these turning into court cases or issues? Do you think the lady was only filming us in defense to what she misunderstood and feared and will do nothing with the video? Do situations like these happen often, and when they do, do they usually just blow over and leave people spooked with a crazy story to tell? Will this lady hold onto this tape and bring it up against us on any given day?

In the video I am sure it is clear to see we are no harm to her, I am 18, I was wearing a dorky Cosby sweater and my friend, who is 16, was a wearing a life guard jacket. I describe how we look and our age because I know we don't look harmful or threatening at all.

We are now waiting at a gas station down the road anxious about what will happen. Any take on strange misunderstandings like these would be great, thank you.

Let it go, pal.

No one can read the mind of another.

So, she recorded you doing nothing, so what?

If you were doing nothing, breaking no laws, forget it.

Even if you were breaking laws, so what?

Forget it.

Stay off residential streets during the high crimes of the night.

Hang out in your home.

Play it safe.

The ghouls, goblins, night critters play rough, very rough during the wee hours of the early morning.

Avoid the vampires, killers, robbers, rapists, pimps, and thugs; play safe.

You should take care to avoid being around her or that area without a stated purpose. There really isn't much she can do legally in this situation. If she reports this to the police they might track you down and ask you what you were doing, but unless there is some evidence of you continuing to intentionally harass her then there is no case. The police would most likely warn you to stay away as well. Some people are just too paranoid.

Back