Labor lien issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

katscan99

I entered into a verbal partnership with a friend of almost 40 yrs and her boyfriend to purchase a distressed property, improve it and sell after five yrs. Ten months ago we were exchanging emails about potential properties in Ore, Cal, and Latin America to move to after selling 'our' property. Though our agreement was verbal it was affirmed before a witness on several occasions. All of our mutual acquaintances were aware of the partnership. As it turns out he and I were paying $1000/mo. on a monthly mortgage payment of $1060.
April 17, she decided there was no partnership and served her now x boyfriend and myself with a notice to vacate. As all of the labor involved in improving the property - its value has doubled - was done by the x and myself. All of the maintenance, upkeep, and upgrades were done by the x and myself. She flat refused to acknowledge any agreement. Since all of labor we had done over 60 months was not compensated in a rent reduction and the labor was for work that by WA State code was solely the responsibility of the owner/lessor, we filed separate labor liens on the property under Title 60 of the RCW (Revised Code of Washington) - specifically Title 60.04.031. Today I received a letter from her attorney to sign and notarize a release within 5 days of the date of the letter, or he would file suit against each of us under RCW 60.04.081 (frivolous claim) to order the lien released and pay legal costs est. at $2,500. The stated reasons are 1) not being licensed contractors, 2) not providing a disclosure statement, and 3) not having a contract per RCW 60.04.021. Our position is that RCW 60.04.031 provides the exception which makes our lien viable. Dose it? I don't expect a detailed response. But, as I live in Mason County with limited legal resources, could someone provide the names of lawyers or law offices in Kitsap or Mason Counties that would provide a low cost flat rate consultation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back