Kirby Vacuum - Can They Sue Me?

Bethany K

Jurisdiction
Arizona
This is a long story so bear with me:

11/4 I signed a contract to purchase a Kirby vacuum for $2160.59. I paid in full on a Capital One Credit Card.
11/6 I signed the cancellation request and send via certified mail the request to the distributor that I bought it from (Apex International). I was prepared for a fight, so I called my credit card company and filed a dispute on the charge so that they would cancel it. The credit card company asked "did you return the item?" and I said yes and gave them the tracking number for the certified mail even though I had, in fact, still had the physical merchandise (the vacuum) in my house.
I did that that way the distributor would have to come get the vacuum, since they did not have the money.
11/8 They received the mail, and that night came to pick up the vacuum (amazing, right?). However, my husband (who's name is NOT on the contract since I was the buyer) turned them away and said we were keeping the vacuum (not so amazing).
11/13 or 14 Kirby corporate themselves calls me and confirms that we are closing the cancellation request and keeping the vacuum - whatever, I've made my peace with it.
WELL
Since I filed the credit card charge dispute Capital One took the money back from the distributor however they have not put the credit back onto my card because they are waiting for a response from the merchant. They have tried to re-charge my card for the $2160.59 but it was declined since the first charge is still there, but also not there - ya feel me?
Anyways, they merchant has 90 days to respond to the claim with "yes, we received the returned merchandise and allow her to be refunded" or "no, she is keeping the merchandise and we will rebill her account". They have yet to respond to the claim (now 11/21) so neither of us have the money. If they don't respond within 90 days the case will be closed and I'll get the credit back (and also keep the vacuum??)
I've spoken to the "boss" at Apex and told him that, yes, I am keeping the vacuum and allow them to charge me the amount however they cannot charge it until they respond to the claim. I don't know if they actually saw the claim, or if it just takes a while. But I'm wondering what the chances are of them sueing me because they haven't received the money yet?? I'll supposedly get a letter from Capital One explaining the terms of the claim. But ultimately I have the vacuum and have not paid for it and Apex International/Kirby has not received the money for the vacuum. But also I didn't get my refund either. I live in fear everyday. Thanks!

This is a long story so bear with me:

11/4 I signed a contract to purchase a Kirby vacuum for $2160.59. I paid in full on a Capital One Credit Card.
11/6 I signed the cancellation request and send via certified mail the request to the distributor that I bought it from (Apex International). I was prepared for a fight, so I called my credit card company and filed a dispute on the charge so that they would cancel it. The credit card company asked "did you return the item?" and I said yes and gave them the tracking number for the certified mail even though I had, in fact, still had the physical merchandise (the vacuum) in my house.
I did that that way the distributor would have to come get the vacuum, since they did not have the money.
11/8 They received the mail, and that night came to pick up the vacuum (amazing, right?). However, my husband (who's name is NOT on the contract since I was the buyer) turned them away and said we were keeping the vacuum (not so amazing).
11/13 or 14 Kirby corporate themselves calls me and confirms that we are closing the cancellation request and keeping the vacuum - whatever, I've made my peace with it.
WELL
Since I filed the credit card charge dispute Capital One took the money back from the distributor however they have not put the credit back onto my card because they are waiting for a response from the merchant. They have tried to re-charge my card for the $2160.59 but it was declined since the first charge is still there, but also not there - ya feel me?
Anyways, they merchant has 90 days to respond to the claim with "yes, we received the returned merchandise and allow her to be refunded" or "no, she is keeping the merchandise and we will rebill her account". They have yet to respond to the claim (now 11/21) so neither of us have the money. If they don't respond within 90 days the case will be closed and I'll get the credit back (and also keep the vacuum??)
I've spoken to the "boss" at Apex and told him that, yes, I am keeping the vacuum and allow them to charge me the amount however they cannot charge it until they respond to the claim. I don't know if they actually saw the claim, or if it just takes a while. But I'm wondering what the chances are of them sueing me because they haven't received the money yet?? I'll supposedly get a letter from Capital One explaining the terms of the claim. But ultimately I have the vacuum and have not paid for it and Apex International/Kirby has not received the money for the vacuum. But also I didn't get my refund either. I live in fear everyday. Thanks!

The *RIGHT* thing to do is to contact your credit card and remove the dispute. After you do that, it would also be appropriate to contact the folks at Apex to apologize for the confusion and trouble you caused by first lying and then refusing to return the product. On the same call, let them know that you've retracted the dispute.

The *RIGHT* thing to do is to contact your credit card and remove the dispute. After you do that, it would also be appropriate to contact the folks at Apex to apologize for the confusion and trouble you caused by first lying and then refusing to return the product. On the same call, let them know that you've retracted the dispute.
I've tried, but the credit card company can't remove it until the respond!! I've verbally apologized to the guy over the phone, but have no proof. I don't want to give them another credit card to charge because I don't want to end up with two charges on the off chance the capital one charge goes through

fo
I've tried, but the credit card company can't remove it until the respond!! I've verbally apologized to the guy over the phone, but have no proof. I don't want to give them another credit card to charge because I don't want to end up with two charges on the off chance the capital one charge goes through
Move up the chain at the credit card company. They CAN close a dispute at your request.

fo

Move up the chain at the credit card company. They CAN close a dispute at your request.
Do you have any advice on how to do that? I'l have no idea what kind of person I'm talking to when I call them and not sure how to ask to move up the chain? "Connect me to your manager?" Type??

No, not at all because you will pay them upon demand if your dispute is upheld...right?
of course. but i did call capital one back and spoke to a "supervisor" who basically told me the same thing. the dispute was processed and the reversal was initiated but they still have to wait for a response... so i guess i'll just hang out in limbo until its over. thanks for the feedback.

of course. but i did call capital one back and spoke to a "supervisor" who basically told me the same thing. the dispute was processed and the reversal was initiated but they still have to wait for a response... so i guess i'll just hang out in limbo until its over. thanks for the feedback.
Then you as for their supervisor...and so on and so on, until you get someone who will remove the dispute.

I paid in full on a Capital One Credit Card.

Contact the card issuer, explain to the rep why you believe you were scammed/conned, and ask to have the charge removed.

It may not work, but once you give money to SOME merchants, there is often very little you can do to get it back.

reversal was initiated but they still have to wait for a response... so i guess i'll just hang out in limbo until its over.

Okay, you've started the process, now all you need do is relax and hope for the outcome you desire.

The merchant you named is normally helpful to their customers, so twiddle your thumbs, think good thoughts, wait and you might get that you desire.

Contact the card issuer, explain to the rep why you believe you were scammed/conned, and ask to have the charge removed.

It may not work, but once you give money to SOME merchants, there is often very little you can do to get it back.

The OP decided to keep the merchandise after initiating a dispute. The OP wants to retract the dispute, but can't get her CC company to do so. The OP is concerned that the vendor may sue. The OP is willing to pay the vendor if the dispute is ultimately upheld.

The OP decided to keep the merchandise after initiating a dispute. The OP wants to retract the dispute, but can't get her CC company to do so. The OP is concerned that the vendor may sue. The OP is willing to pay the vendor if the dispute is ultimately upheld.

She might just get the outcome she desires.

She's filed her complaint, she must allow the process to work to some conclusion.

Even instant coffee isn't instant, it might be quicker than brewing coffee, but the water must first be boiled.

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished.

Patience and fortitude conquer all things.

With love and patience, nothing is impossible.

Back