Roomate Kicking out roommates

Sesame123

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I live with 2 roommates and they're a couple. The guy has already moved out and back in twice. While he was gone we took care if his dog for a few weeks then came back and didn't pay anything. They both slowly started falling behind with rent payment dates which has caused us to fall behind on making our rent payments on time. They didn't pay for the whole month of September and its now October 5th. They have informed me that they will not be paying anything to me because they need it to give to their friend they have decided to move in with. They said they will not leave for 2 weeks but won't pay anything. I don't my free loading roommates here any longer! Their names are not on the lease, only mine is. I gave them a 7 day notice to quit or pay but by the way they reacted ( yelled some unrecognizable stuff and crumpled it up and threw it at my door) I don't think they will go. What is my next step and do I really have to wait 7 terrible days?

I live with 2 roommates and they're a couple. The guy has already moved out and back in twice. While he was gone we took care if his dog for a few weeks then came back and didn't pay anything. They both slowly started falling behind with rent payment dates which has caused us to fall behind on making our rent payments on time. They didn't pay for the whole month of September and its now October 5th. They have informed me that they will not be paying anything to me because they need it to give to their friend they have decided to move in with. They said they will not leave for 2 weeks but won't pay anything. I don't my free loading roommates here any longer! Their names are not on the lease, only mine is. I gave them a 7 day notice to quit or pay but by the way they reacted ( yelled some unrecognizable stuff and crumpled it up and threw it at my door) I don't think they will go. What is my next step and do I really have to wait 7 terrible days?

You'll wait more than seven days.
If the time is indeed seven days to quit, that ONLY allows you to file an eviction.

Google "EVICTION< YOUR COUNTY, MI" for exact details in yoru county.

Normally it takes the better part of a week to serve these creeps after the seven period has elapsed.

You will eventually see a judge in six to eight weeks, maybe four weeks in smaller counties.

Then the person gets 48, maybe 72 hours AFTER that before the sheriff will come to remove them and their junk, if they haven't left.

This is WHY roommates are generally a bad idea, they screw you!!!

If you can, ALWAYS have a roommate agreement in writing. While it may ultimately not help you as much as you'd wish, it is by far better than nothing. And if a roommate isn't willing to sign an agreement that carefully and accurately states the terms of the tenant and roommate relationship, it can help screen out potentially poor candidates as roommates.

Back