Kaiser Mental Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Dickens

Jurisdiction
California
I am looking for an attorney willing to take my case about attempted suicide and the fact I had to wait 9 weeks to see therapist and 12 weeks to see a psychologist. On the 14th week I attempted suicide.

The state of California ruled against Kaiser and ordered them to shorten wait times. This coming Tuesday the Mental Health workers of Kaiser will be doing another walk out strike.

I have made contact with the CEO Bernard Tyson and have a meeting scheduled for the end of this month along side the health care union president and 5 other families.

Please let me know what my options might be? I have been turned down now by over a dozen attorneys saying that my case is to expensive to take on even though they feel I have a winning case.

I'm sorry, but this is not a referral forum. It sounds like your case, while valid, is not worth much money, which is why you can't find an attorney willing to take it on.

EDIT - My second sentence was incorrect - "not" has been removed before the word "valid".

Last edited:
I am looking for an attorney willing to take my case about attempted suicide and the fact I had to wait 9 weeks to see therapist

You can peruse this link:

Free Legal Consultation with a Lawyer

Here are a several more such sites, do your due diligence, as I am not recommending anyone to you, just showing where you MIGHT find what you seek:

Lawyer Referrals / Legal Aid - Law Library - Alameda County

Find The Right Lawyer. Learn About Your Legal Issue. Lawyers.com

https://www.acbanet.org/need-a-lawyer/

Hayward, CA General Practice Law Firms | Lawyers.com

You won't find a lawyer looking for clients on these threads, as these threads are used ONLY for general legal discussions.

were you an employee of a Kaiser? Or a member of an employer group that had Kaiser? Or on an individual plan with Kaiser?

What type of plan is it (HDHP/HSA, PPO, HMO, etc)?

i suspect the attorneys you have spoken with realize there is an issue, but can't directly link your wait time to any monetary damages.

I had to wait 9 weeks to see therapist and 12 weeks to see a psychologist. On the 14th week I attempted suicide.

Had to wait 9/12 weeks after what? If you saw a therapist after 9 weeks and a psychologist after 12 weeks and attempted suicide after 14 weeks, that means you attempted suicide AFTER seeing both the therapist and the psychologist. Right?

Please let me know what my options might be? I have been turned down now by over a dozen attorneys saying that my case is to expensive to take on even though they feel I have a winning case.

Not really sure what you're asking, but I assume you are looking for an attorney to represent you on a contingent fee basis (i.e., you're not looking for a lawyer whom you will pay on an hourly basis). Right? When an attorney agrees to handle a case on contingency, he or she is committing to working the case FOR FREE because he or she won't get paid if you don't win or any judgment is uncollectible. That means the attorney has to be satisfied that the time he/she will have to spend working the case (which may be several hundred hours over a year or two) will be justified by the likelihood of winning, the likely magnitude of the judgment and the likelihood of collecting any judgment. By way of example, even if winning is a virtual certainty, if the likely magnitude of a judgment is $100,000 (of which the lawyer would receive 1/3) but the lawyer will have to spend 250 hours to get there, it might not be worth the lawyer's time because that would equate to an hourly rate of only $133.33.

Given the minimal information you provided, it seems that collecting a judgment won't be an issue, but it's not clear from your post why the insurer had a duty to provide you with shorter waiting times and what damages you have suffered. If, in fact, "over a dozen attorneys" -- all of whom presumably have a lot more information than we have -- have concluded that your case isn't worth taking on contingency, then your options are to (1) give up, (2) try and represent yourself, or (3) hire an attorney on an hourly basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back