K Visa K-1 Visa Financial Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrianne

I am a US citizen who would like to petition for my fiance to come to states so we can get married. We met and lived together here in the states for a while, but he has now returned to Russia to see his family. I have planned a trip to visit him there for the summer and then we would like to return to the states together.

I will not be working while I am in Russia but would like to get the K-1 visa process started during this time. My question is, what documents and proof (tax returns, check stubs, etc..) are required to show that I can financially support him and how current do they need to be? Will it be problematic if I am currently unemployed at the time of filing?

Thank you for your help.

You never know with immigration.

If you aren't working and take a trip to Russia (and aren't rich), it'll raise RED flags!
Nevertheless, you can try.

But how much money is required to qualify as a sponsor? 125% of poverty level for myself? Or do they count my future husband as part of my household? And even if I'm not currently working, will my 2009 tax return and proof of sufficient savings be acceptable?

Thank you.

But how much money is required to qualify as a sponsor? 125% of poverty level for myself? Or do they count my future husband as part of my household? And even if I'm not currently working, will my 2009 tax return and proof of sufficient savings be acceptable?

Thank you.

That won't be your problem.
They'll wonder how an unemployed person can travel to Russia.
Then they'll dig deep into your life.
You won't like how deep they'll dig.
You have to show the means of supporting a potential immigrant and yourself.
That means significant assets, a job, or a trust fund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back