Rent, Utilities Just found out that my landlord is using my electricty for his garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leesgurl993

I just found out that my land lord has been using my electricity in the garage he has in back of property I rent . there is only 1 meter we have lived here for 2yrs 2 months. i'm wondering if I can take legal action and how should i go about it.

I'm moving out in a month to a more affordable place. Should I persue action now ? thanks for any help with this situation

You might want to check your lease to be sure it doesn't note you are to pay all electrical charges including the landlords.

You might want to talk to an attorney to see if he/she thinks you might be able to get back some of the electrical charges. You will have to prove "power theft" & what your bills would have been without the garage electrical charges. You might be able to sue in small claims court if the amt. is small enough.

It is probably not worth pursuing. The amount you might stand to recover is probably not worth the time and effort.

Agree that the amount most likely will not be very much though many people sue in small claims court for quite small amounts & it can be done without a lawyer.

OP, you will have to decide if you believe the amount would be worth pursuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back