Roomate Just an occupant

Sltollett

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I am the renter. She is just an occupant. But she has moved her 15 year old daughter in. Without asking permission from the landlord or I. The landlord have her a 30 day eviction notice. She said she doesn't have to move because she can't be evicted because hey child is a minor. Is this true?

No, she can be evicted, as will her offspring, too.

It will consume time, maybe six to eight weeks AFTER the formal eviction papers have been served.

The lesson here is NEVER allow anyone to visit, much less reside in your home.

If someone wishes to visit with you, that you barely know, meet them in a restaurant, park, coffee shop, or outside your home.

Don't invite a wolf into your home.

I am the renter. She is just an occupant.

What do you think this distinction means, and on what basis or bases do you draw this distinction?

The landlord have her a 30 day eviction notice. She said she doesn't have to move because she can't be evicted because hey child is a minor. Is this true?

No. In fact, it's patently silly, but this appears to be between the landlord and the woman in question, so not really any concern of yours.

Agreed. The minor does not protect her from eviction. That is just silly for her to think that.

If you allow someone to live in your home, whether they pay rent or not or are named in the lease or not, they will have essentially the same protections as you do as a tenant.

You are fortunate that the landlord is taking action and not leaving the problem to you.

Back