jurisdiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomaybee

how far does jurisdiciton go? can 1 city policeman arrest me if im in the city right next to them's jurisdiction?

how far does jurisdiciton go? can 1 city policeman arrest me if im in the city right next to them's jurisdiction?
What state are we talking about?

In general, a peace officer can make an arrest for any public offense (crime) committed within his or her jurisdiction even if you have fled to another jurisdiction. In many states (like mine) he can also make an arrest for any public offense committed in his presence anywhere in the state.

Would you care to post some details?

- Carl

I cannot imagine that an officer from City A can arrest you for a curfew (local) violation in City B unless he actually SAW you in City A in violation of the curfew.

- Carl

ok how about this.... i was walking down a street across the street of an ex-girlfriend... wasnt on purpose i was hedding home and the dad sees me and calls the cops (this isnt the first time he is an ass) its 2 am im not sopposed to be out cops come from keller (the city he lives in) and technically im in north richland hills. (the street is the border) the cop arrested me...

Well then, you can make the argument at court that you were outside of Keller's city limit and thus not subject to that town's curfew. Hopefully for you there is no curfew in Richland Hills, or they just might argue that the officer made an arrest for a public offense committed in THAT jurisdiction.

Lesson to be learned - don't be walking around near ex-girlfriend's house at 2 AM.

Though, I would be fascinated to learn how dad's attention got drawn to you at 2 AM when you just happened to be quietly and innocently passing by across the street? Just what piece of the pie are you leaving out here? If you were just passing by, you would have been visible for ... what? A few seconds? And what would the odds be that dad would be both UP as well as looking out his window during those few seconds? You are either darn near the unluckiest sot on the planet, or, there is something else going on here.

- Carl

How come I find that so hard to believe?

Does her dad sit up 24/7 staring out the window? Were you yelling or making noise? Certainly you did something to draw his attention.

Then, of course, there is the inevitable question of WHY you were walking past her place at such a late hour ... do you live around the corner?

- Carl

Okay ... I really hate it when people come here and lie about the circumstances.

Good luck in court.

- Carl

the story is actually much bigger tahn even that... but im nto going to court i was just wondering about jurisdiction because im not letting her go yet

the story is actually much bigger tahn even that... but im nto going to court i was just wondering about jurisdiction because im not letting her go yet

Okay ... I really hate it when people come here and lie about the circumstances.

Good luck in court.

Well, if he refuses to go to court (and wa issued a citation/summons to do so) then an arrest warrant would make any future contacts much weasier for the police.

I can see why dad is interested in seeing this guy taken care of.

- Carl

you have no idea about what you are talking about
Fine. Don't show up for your court date, then. See what happens. Next time dad sees you, he can call the cops and you'll likely have a warrant for the FTA.

Good luck.

- Carl

i dont have a court date... again you dont know what you are talking about
Lucky you. In most states they issue citations for curfew violations. I guess it's no a violation of the law in WA.

So, what's your beef, then? if you did not get charged with a curfew violation, why should you care about the jurisdiction?

- Carl

i thought it was interesting... thats what this place is for. Not legal help just to talk about legal stuff. right? and they took back the citation as soon as we drove off (they arrested me) they said they had to do that to make the dad happy. then they drove me home... quite nice actually :p

Aren't you a lucky sot. Immoral and without respect, but lucky.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back