Jurisdiction Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FanelianMelef

I was caught with a speeding ticket in Georgia, going 79 in a 55mph zone. The police officer who pulled me over was a City of Lawrenceville police officer, rather than a county or state police officer. I am not going to the Recorder's/Traffic Court, but the city's municipal court. This is my first offens and I am 18. But I am so scared about losing my license. I've been told by some that city court cannot suspend my license, only give me a fine and then send the points to the state/county. Is this true? Am I going to be okay? Please help!

I've been told by some that city court cannot suspend my license, only give me a fine and then send the points to the state/county. Is this true?

The best way to find out is to call the clerk of court and ask. In Georgia you can enter a NOLO plea once either every five or seven years and no points are assessed on your license. It does show on your record for insurance purposes.

Points are normally assessed by the DMV, not the courts. However most judges can suspend your license and I would expect the city judge to have that option.

You may want to attend court before your particular date and see the procedure so you will know what to expect. The clerk can give you the schedule.

If you can persuade the officer to reduce it to an under 14mph violation it will not show on your record. You may be able to catch him when you preview court or you can call the station and he might talk to you at the beginning of his shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back