Jumping Title

David Im

Jurisdiction
California
Hello
My name is David.
I sold my car Since 2017 and the buyer had never transferred the title to his name.
He sold the car to another guy maybe 2 or 3 months ago.
I just got the citation parking ticket 280$ from Long Beach city and it's under my name. I already talked to him with this matters for several time but he didn't responsible for it. He is my neighbor. He lied to me. I already submit all the documents I have to Longbeach city but not working and DMV can't help.

I have a copy of bill of sale which he wrote and signed on it, Copy of title, copy of his driver license.
Can I report him to the police for Jumping Title? Or can I sue him?

Did you submit a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability to the DMV when you sold the vehicle (as you are required to do)?
If not, then I would suggest that you do it now.

You have no private cause of action for "jumping title", but you may be able to recoup the cost of the ticket (if you end up having to pay it) through small claims court. If you did submit the release of liability to the DMV, then you shouldn't even end up having to pay the ticket.

EDIT: Here it the link to the California DMV for the release of liability: Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability

I sold my car Since 2017 and the buyer had never transferred the title to his name.

Did you, within five calendar days after the sale, submit to the DMV a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability?

I already talked to him with this matters for several time but he didn't responsible for it.

Huh?

Can I report him to the police for Jumping Title? Or can I sue him?

You can report whomever you like to whomever you like, and anyone can sue anyone for anything. However, the police aren't going to concern themselves with something like this, and you have no basis to sue. If you did what you were legally required to do at the time of sale, then all you need do is submit evidence of filing the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability in connection with disputing the ticket.

First, let me say thanks you for your comment.
As I remember I did it online but I did not capture the screenshot. I did it online again when I get the ticket maybe a month ago. I gave all the original documents to the buyer and he promised me to take care of it. At that time he need it seriously for Uber and I just want to help him because he is my neighbor and he is unemployed.

I texted and talked with him a couple weeks ago but he said he don't know. He said he will try to contact the new owner for me but almost 2 months I've never heard something from him. The ticket with the late fee is coming to my address.

Could you tell what happen if I don't pay for that ticket? Some of my friends said if I don't pay the car can not transferable But some said the collector will deduct from my tax return?

Lesson for the future. ALWAYS keep copies of documents relating to a private vehicle sale (e.g., signed contract, notice of transfer and release, etc.). All you can do is follow the process for challenging the ticket and submit whatever documentation you have.

Could you tell what happen if I don't pay for that ticket? Some of my friends said if I don't pay the car can not transferable But some said the collector will deduct from my tax return?

A tax return is a document that you submit (nowadays it's typically done electronically) to IRS or a state taxing authority (in California, it's the Franchise Tax Board). I therefore assume you're talking about a tax refund, not a tax return. I don't know any specifics about how Long Beach handles parking tickets (I got one when I lived there 20-ish years ago, but I paid it), so I cannot rule out the possibility that the City will notify the FTB and ask that the FTB take the penalty from any tax refund to which you might be entitled. The easy way around that is to ensure that you have the proper amount being deducted from your paychecks so that you are not giving the government a zero-interest loan.

You didn't mention how much the ticket is, but if you are not successful in challenging it, the path of least resistance would almost certainly be to pay it.

Jumping title:

Bonded car titles:

Bonded titles = what = how= ???

You made a serious mistake by not paying the ticket promptly. The late fees, penalties, etc. are on you.
Lesson for the future. ALWAYS keep copies of documents relating to a private vehicle sale (e.g., signed contract, notice of transfer and release, etc.). All you can do is follow the process for challenging the ticket and submit whatever documentation you have.
The OP can also resubmit the release of liability and then inform the municipality that issued the ticket that he sold the vehicle.

Thank for all the replies.
Let me describe how it happens:
The ticket was dropped at my previous address and my friend brought it to me. I tried to send all the papers I have such as Copy of bill of sale, copy of title to Longbeach city, Copy of driver license of the buyer But they ignored all the documents. LB city said my name was on the title during they gave the ticket, they got that information from the DMV. After that I contacted to the buyer and he replied me by text message that he will ask the new buyer to pay for it. I waited for him till the new ticket came with the late fee penalty. I texted him again and he told me again that the new owner will pay for it.
I don't know what should I do? Right now no job in quarantine time.
He's really an a**hole. ( sorry to say that in the group) but he really is. I sold that vehicle to him because I wanted to help him.
I really want to take him to the court and find justice.
Thanks you guys again for all the ideas. Really appreciate.

I did the release of liability online(DMV website) a month ago but I did not capture the screenshot. Do I need to do it again and capture the screenshot?

Here is the link to parking citation information page for the city of Long Beach, CA: Parking Citations

The ONLY thing that mattered was that release of liability and it sounds like you didn't file that until AFTER your initial attempt at appealing the citation. Furthermore, in order to take the appeal to the next level, you would have needed to pay citation in full, but it sounds like you failed to do that or proceed any further in the appeals process. You are going to need to pay the citation and go after the guy you sold it to and/or the guy he sold it to. As I believe I mentioned above, those guys are really only responsible for the cost of the ticket. The late fees/penalties are on you.

I do need to say that my prior statement that you could resubmit the release of liability and then notify the municipality was based upon you doing this within the statutory time period allowed. You are well beyond that time period.

Thank for all the replies.
He's really an a**hole. ( sorry to say that in the group) but he really is. I sold that vehicle to him because I wanted to help him...

Nice guys finish last, especially when they believe promises made by anyone else regarding an important financial matter like a car sale. Promises are meaningless.

Pay the fine and penalties.

I was late for 3months to get the ticket cause I moved my apartment. When I got the ticket the late fee is already included and it was late to appeal..

I was late for 3months to get the ticket cause I moved my apartment. When I got the ticket the late fee is already included and it was late to appeal..
That means you failed to notify the DMV of your change of address (a requirement).

EDIT: On second thought, that's not necessarily what it means, since you wouldn't have felt the need to update the address for a car that you sold.

You're going to need to pay this and then go after the guy you sold it to. Good luck.

After paying the ticket do I need to go to DMV to release the liability or I can do it online again and capture the screenshot or print it?

After paying the ticket do I need to go to DMV to release the liability or I can do it online again and capture the screenshot or print it?
You can do it online. You can also attempt to contact the DMV to verify that they have it on file.

What I suppose to do after I pay that ticket?
You can do whatever you want after you pay the ticket.
You can go after the guy you sold it to who failed to transfer the title and/or you can go after the guy who owns the car now. You can do this in court, or you can write a bunch of letters. You could also chalk it up as a life-lesson and let it go, knowing that you're not likely to see a dime.

Back