Judgment statue od limitations

Charlika

We had a Ford truck reposed back in 2001 and a law firm on Long Island placed a judgment against us in 2001. They recently placed a wage garnishment thru the Cortland County Sheriff against my husband. I thought the statue of limitations on this was 7 years. Thank you.

We had a Ford truck reposed back in 2001 and a law firm on Long Island placed a judgment against us in 2001. They recently placed a wage garnishment thru the Cortland County Sheriff against my husband. I thought the statue of limitations on this was 7 years. Thank you.

There is, theoretically speaking, no statute of limitations on a civil judgment.

In NY state, judgments die after 10 years, if not renewed.
But, the judgment holder MUST within one year before the judgment expires apply to renew the judgment for TEN more years.
That can be tricky for some uninformed judgment holders.

Did the judgment die after 2011?
No way to tell, but you can check the issuing court's website to know if yours died, or was renewed and expires in 2021.
You'll also see when it was, if it was, renewed.
A debtor should always challenge the SOL on older judgments. Why?
Sometimes you get lucky.

Another judgment killer is bankruptcy.

See a BK lawyer, or three, to see if BK can benefit you.

Last edited:
The statute of limitations you are thinking of is regarding their time to go to court and get a judgment. They apparently did that right away.
As above, whether the judgment is still valid/renewed is another question. They may continue to try to collect on the judgment as long as it is valid, which could be many more years.

Back