Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders Judge says he must register as a sex offender

army judge

Super Moderator
Computer science student Zach Anderson, 19, met a girl, 17, on the "Hot or Not?" app. He was from Elkhart, Indiana. She was 20 minutes over the border in Niles, Michigan. They hooked up. Once.

But it turned out the girl was really 14. She'd lied to Anderson and also in her profile. Now Zach sits in a Michigan jail, serving 90 days. When he gets out he will be on the Sex Offender Registry for 25 years.

Michigan law might just change when the Michigan Supreme Court rules by autumn.

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/16/male-teen-has-consensual-sex-with-female

That is tough but 14 is very young... very young. That's the equivalent of a college sophomore and a high school freshman. But I can appreciate your thoughts on the statutory rape law in Michigan, as this does seem to be very harsh for someone who is serving only 90 days in jail. On one hand statutory rape is not taken so seriously (90 days in jail) and on the other, you're branded for most of your middle age with a scarlet letter. And there are other people who are far more what we'd consider "sexual predators" and for whom such a Sex Offender Registry is designed to include. Interesting and depressing case. Difficult to find a second chance when you'll be 44 by the time you can be removed from the registry.

That is tough but 14 is very young... very young. That's the equivalent of a college sophomore and a high school freshman. But I can appreciate your thoughts on the statutory rape law in Michigan, as this does seem to be very harsh for someone who is serving only 90 days in jail. On one hand statutory rape is not taken so seriously (90 days in jail) and on the other, you're branded for most of your middle age with a scarlet letter. And there are other people who are far more what we'd consider "sexual predators" and for whom such a Sex Offender Registry is designed to include. Interesting and depressing case. Difficult to find a second chance when you'll be 44 by the time you can be removed from the registry.

I had an old sarge who used to admonish the troops to stay safe while on pass or leave by closing with: "If in doubt, don't whip it out."

Many is the time I've played former first lady Nancy Reagan's admonishment in my head: "Just say no." LOL

Back