Judge ignored my request for disability accommodation

• Thread Starter courtfamilyadaviolation
  • Start date
C

courtfamilyadaviolation

Jurisdiction
Texas
I broke two fingers and requested a continuance under ADA in family court because I cannot prepare for court (in addition to other issues, such as failure to be served. Judge ignored my request. I live 1100 miles away, out of state, and was not present for hearing. Was not told he ignored my request, and my ex's attorney (who also knew I made the request) went to court and won outrageous judgment against.

My guess is that you did all this without an attorney of your own, got it all wrong, and got steamrolled.

Hire an attorney now (at that court's location) and see about an appeal.

Otherwise you are stuck.

I broke two fingers and requested a continuance under ADA in family court because I cannot prepare for court (in addition to other issues, such as failure to be served. Judge ignored my request. I live 1100 miles away, out of state, and was not present for hearing. Was not told he ignored my request, and my ex's attorney (who also knew I made the request) went to court and won outrageous judgment against.

Judges rule supreme, with limited exception and oversight.
How do I know?
Because I'm one of them.
Your rights weren't infringed, ignored, or disallowed.
You petitioned the court.
The petition was denied or ignored.
Either way, you were still required to physically attend.
Generally speaking, letters from physicians (submitted beforehand) are honored.
Hospitalizations are excused, usually such notice comes after the fact.

You still have recourse.

You are now free to seek leave for appellate relief.

Bear in mind, appellate courts don't have to grant such relief, or even a hearing on the merits.

We all live with the legal system our founders created, which was intended to serve wealthy, land owning US citizen, white males!

If you didn't receive notification that a continuance was approved, you should have showed up in court. You can contact a lawyer now & see about an appeal.

Back