joint deed

verde

I am on a joint property deed and am interested in being bought out by the other joint deed owners. We do not have a cooperative or harmonious relationship, therefore they are not amenable to buying me out. They would rather sit on the property. Can I legally force them to buy me out? I want my share to purchase other property.

I am on a joint property deed and am interested in being bought out by the other joint deed owners. We do not have a cooperative or harmonious relationship, therefore they are not amenable to buying me out. They would rather sit on the property. Can I legally force them to buy me out? I want my share to purchase other property.

You can't force them to sell, but the court can.
You go to court and file an action to partition the property.
If the court approves, and it will, an order will be issued forcing the property to be sold and the profits disbursed between the parties.
if one owns 45%, she'll get 40%, and the other three own 20%, they'll each get 20% of the profits, after the sale and closing.

Some expanded information on partitioning property:

http://www.kinseylaw.com/clientserv2/civillitigationserv/realestate/partition/partition.html

Back