Joint Custody Child Support Question

S

Sandpitter

Jurisdiction
Nebraska
My daughter has an 8 year old son and her and the father split 14 months ago. She had to move in with us to have a roof over her head as he has not paid any support of any kind since the separation. We are in the middle of a child support action now, but the her lawyer is saying she should settle for $250 a month, but she would also be responsible for 1/2 of out of pocket medical. The father makes $30 + per hour, my daughter makes $11.50 per hour. I just don't think this sounds right, the lawyer had originally said she should be able to receive $450 per month and no out of pocket medical expenses. Any thoughts?

My daughter has an 8 year old son and her and the father split 14 months ago. She had to move in with us to have a roof over her head as he has not paid any support of any kind since the separation. We are in the middle of a child support action now, but the her lawyer is saying she should settle for $250 a month, but she would also be responsible for 1/2 of out of pocket medical. The father makes $30 + per hour, my daughter makes $11.50 per hour. I just don't think this sounds right, the lawyer had originally said she should be able to receive $450 per month and no out of pocket medical expenses. Any thoughts?

You aren't in the middle of any child support actions - she is.

He would also be responsible for half of medical too. That's usually how it gets split up. If she's in the middle of determining child support then he hasn't been obligated to pay any for the last 14 months. That's why he hasn't - there's no order. Anything he did pay her would've been considered a gift. I think he probably should have been helping out without an order but legally he didn't have to.

Nebraska child support guidelines: Article 2: Child Support Guidelines.

Here's the worksheet: https://supremecourt.nebraska.gov/sites/court.cdc.nol.org/files/rules/forms/worksheet1.pdf

All the things on the worksheet are what get considered. I don't know your daughter's info or her ex but maybe when the lawyer got all the information and figured it out, that's what came up. No one on here can know.

I got divorced in Nebraska - my ex didn't and really hasn't had a job since then. So my lawyer did the worksheet figuring out a 40 hour minimum wage work week - and after putting in all my information and all the information for that it came out to $86 a month he is supposed to pay. He doesn't unless he has a job and the state takes it. It's also split 50/50 for unreimbursed medical and 50/50 for daycare. He hasn't done any of that and luckily my insurance and her Medicaid there aren't any copays or anything.

If your daughter has the copy of the worksheet the lawyer wrote up she should be able to determine why it's $250 now. That's up to her if she wants to take it or not. I wish I got $250 a month...I wish I got the $86 a month even.

Why hire a lawyer to seek child support, when the state will do it for fREE, and even enforce collecting the child support money awarded?

Read this, fire the lawyer, hire the state for FREE, and let nature take its course:
Child Support Enforcement Home

I just saw joint custody...I have sole custody. But I think the worksheet still applies.

The state does not enforce anything in Nebraska. My ex goes to jail for everything but paying his child support. $13,000 in arrears- they know he's behind. They can't take his license since he lost that from DUIs several years ago. They don't do anything here.

I just saw joint custody...I have sole custody. But I think the worksheet still applies.

The state does not enforce anything in Nebraska. My ex goes to jail for everything but paying his child support. $13,000 in arrears- they know he's behind. They can't take his license since he lost that from DUIs several years ago. They don't do anything here.

Her guy WORKS and allegedly earns $30/hour.
I suppose if he keeps working, the state can collect a few bucks for her from him to help her raise the kid.
The state can attach his wages.
Many people use the state child support system successfully, IF the other party is responsible, maintains gainful employment, and stays out of prison.
Of course when dealing with DEADBEATS and CRIMINALS all bets are off.
The state can obtain a child support order for FREE.
The state will even do the DNA testing.

Bottom line, breeding can be an expensive pursuit, especially when you realize you're raising a child alone.

Back