Joint Checking accessability of past judgement and negociating a discounted payoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom103

I have a medical judgement from several years ago, "Prior" to my current marriage. I have consistently made small monthly payments to keep it at bay, and now have the desire to speak to the attorney I send payments to and see if we can negociate a discounted payoff agreement. (note, he was very agressive in the brief court proceeding 9 years ago so I want to position for action he may/may not take if this does not work out) A Few questions...Can he attach our Joint checking even though we were not married at the time of judgement? I've thought to seperate our banking accounts with me as a beneficiary on hers with that one holding most of our cash. Also, we are joint on two cars and our home, here again, can he attach what we are joint on? And, your thoughts on my having an attorney contact him instead of myself to negociate?

Q: And, your thoughts on my having an attorney contact him instead of myself to negociate?

A: If it were me, I'd get 3/4 of what I owe and then ask the lawyer if he'd settle for that. If so, then send it to him and be sure to get a written satisfaction of judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back