Consumer Law, Warranties Job offer changed after Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameisjim

Hello,

I am looking for advice and to hear what my options are.

I was offered a job, my first real job that could be a career after college. We sat down and HR told me about my pay and benefits verbally. I liked what the offered and told them I would accept the position. I received a written job offer a week later, and one of the things we discussed, relocation, was missing. it said "you will be eligible for relocation benefits. details of your relocation package will be discussed separately."

Verbally with HR we discussed the company paying for a full-pack move done by movers with paid time off to observe the move.

HR told me on friday that the quote for the full pack move was too high and they would not pay for it. they said they would pay for a uhaul and related expenses and give me the time off to do that.

do I have any recourse other than to accept what they have changed the offer to? I have proof that i believed a full pack move was covered because i flew to my home to meet a mover for the quote. please keep in mind i dont want to irritate the new employer, while at the same time i feel i've been had. oh by the way i start tomorrow...

thanks everyone,

I think you hit the nail on the head - don't irritate your new employer for a relatively small sum. I think what you have learned from this is to be VERY CLEAR when discussing details. The problem with the relocation costs are that it doesn't sound like there was ever a true understanding or "meeting of the minds" as to what this cost actually was. I'm sure the employer had a number in mind and they should have discussed this with you.

The big question is whether the employer knew how much the relocation costs were to be at the time of the offer and knew what you were doing and stayed silent. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. Try to get what you can but don't push it. Learn... the bigger picture here is much more important and in the future, even if you don't get it in writing do get it clearly verbally and shake hands. You can always "confirm" the conversation via email some time later.... Good luck in your new job! :D

mynameisjim said:
Hello,

I am looking for advice and to hear what my options are.

I was offered a job, my first real job that could be a career after college. We sat down and HR told me about my pay and benefits verbally. I liked what the offered and told them I would accept the position. I received a written job offer a week later, and one of the things we discussed, relocation, was missing. it said "you will be eligible for relocation benefits. details of your relocation package will be discussed separately."

Verbally with HR we discussed the company paying for a full-pack move done by movers with paid time off to observe the move.

HR told me on friday that the quote for the full pack move was too high and they would not pay for it. they said they would pay for a uhaul and related expenses and give me the time off to do that.

do I have any recourse other than to accept what they have changed the offer to? I have proof that i believed a full pack move was covered because i flew to my home to meet a mover for the quote. please keep in mind i dont want to irritate the new employer, while at the same time i feel i've been had. oh by the way i start tomorrow...

thanks everyone,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back