I've been in a relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

whyme27

ive been in a relationship with someone for about a yr now. he is a professional athlete so we've lived in a couple of states now. early in the relationship he asked me to let his bestfriend drive my car while we were living in the other residential state. he assured me that if anything happened to the car he would pay for it. during that time the friend messed up my car. when i came back to drive it it was undriveable. when i asked my boyfriend to pay to fix the car at first he never responded. then he said that it was too much to fix & instead i could have 1 of his cars. since then we have broken up. when i asked him to ship the car he gave me, or if i could have the car shipped to where i am, he said he was going to do it but he hasnt. now he refuses to respond to me about the matter at all. i had my own business when we met. we'd been discussing me quitting my business about 2 mths n2 the relationship then about 5-6 mths n2 it i agreed to quit. he has been my only source of income since then & now he refuses to help me financially. all i've asked him for is the car he promised to give me or to help me get another car since i gave up the car his friend messed up. what should i do?

You can sue the person who messed your car up in small claims court but there is a maximum limit and may not be total of what car was worth. You didn't have it insured and let someone drive your vehicle? Your boyfriend would not liable for the damage another person did to your vehicle. Oral promises are rarely able to be proven in court unless there were enough credible witnesses to the fact. You may have to sue in the state where all this took place most likely and that may prove impossible if you can't find the guy who wrecked your vehicle.

the vehicle was insured. the boyfriend was the one who asked me to let the friend drive the car & he was the one who said he would be liable if anything happened to it. i do have emails where he agreed to give me the other vehicle.

oh & the guy who messed the car up lives with my ex, so i do kno where he is. my ex takes care of his bestfriend, he doesnt have a job, money, or any assets.

Good advice but the court will want to know why didn't you have the insurance take care of the damages first. I hope the emails explain that. I still don't believe the court will let you file against the ex-boyfriend for the damages to your car; however if you sue for the car he promised you because of the damages then maybe and not absolutely you may prevail. You will need every scrap of proof and the witnesses will have top appear in court as the court doesn't like to accept statements where the witnesses can't be questioned. I believe the worth of the car can't be more than the maximum allowed in small claims, something you will need to check out before you file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back