Medical Malpractice IVC Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imjesa

Jurisdiction
California
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this and was wondering about the IVC filter I have. My first Bard Recovery filter was placed in 2011 (a year after FDA issued warning to Doctors about the potential danger of them). The filter was defective, it was tilting, so the same hospital who put it in, took it out.

Then, in 2012, another hospital put in THE SAME Bard IVC filter, despite FDA warning and previous filter tilting. I did not have proper follow up, fast forward to present day, with 5 years of dwell time, it has perforated my vena cava and I am having to travel 3 hrs round trip to UCSF to have it dealt with and removed- with a growing possibly of open heart surgery.

I have a rudimentary understanding of the IVC product liability case, my question is this- do I have any legal ground based on the fact the doctor who put in the second IVC, did so negligently. #1 He put in same type of IVC filter that was defective and removed and #2 the FDA issued warning about filter and he put it in anyway. He told me that the filter was a "permanent" filter and I need not worry about it as it was a "safe guard" against having more Pulmonary Emboli. I recently contacted the hospital in an effort to reach doctor who made decision to put that specific filter in me. He would not speak to me due to the fact I was not a current patient. It's all really unnerving, and to think the dozon times I have had to go to hospital with chest pain and Shortness of Breath, it was my IVC filter causing it.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and any pointers would help greatly!

If you believe you have a viable medical malpractice or medical products liability lawsuit it's best to discuss your concerns with a couple lawyers licensed to practice in your state.

If you have health care insurance, read your policy regarding lawsuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back