It was only a matter of time before masking would lead to crime.

army judge

Super Moderator
Jurisdiction
California
SANTA ANA (CBSLA) — Pointing a gun right at a gas station clerk, a man in a traffic vest and a ball cap demanded money as his accomplice, wearing a mask, grabbed the cash.

"We're sitting here not knowing who's going to walk through that door," Elias Khawan, the owner, said.

The thieves, who did not initially raise the clerk's suspicion due to local orders for face coverings in light of the coronavirus pandemic, took off in a silver Nissan Altima last Friday at 2 a.m.

Khawan said he has never seen anything like it the 17 years he's run his Santa Ana gas station and convenience store. He said local face covering requirements put his staff in danger.

"It's horrible," he said. "I mean, I know we have to take certain measures because of what's happening with COVID-19, but it's the perfect script or manual for a robber — the mask, the sunshade and a hoodie. You don't know who's coming, who's walking in."

Khawan and his staff feel so unsafe that he has cut his hours from being open all night to closing at 10 p.m., a 25% hit to his bottom line. He has also added signs at his store prohibiting hoodies, backpacks and handbags.

Santa Ana PD: Robberies Increase By 50%, Suspects Using Face Covering Orders To Their Advantage

Masked man no longer on side of good. Eh, Kemosabe?

There are elements of the human race bent on exploiting anything and everything to enrich themselves at the expense of others.

Those "special" entities have no boundaries.

There are laws in many states (maybe all) that prohibit people from wearing masks.

These laws were created to inhibit the KKK.

A 1951 Georgia law makes it a misdemeanor to wear a "mask, hood or device by which any portion of the face is so hidden, concealed or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer" either on public property or without permission on private property.

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER
§ 16-11-38 - Wearing mask, hood, or device which conceals identity of wearer

2010 Georgia Code :: TITLE 16 - CRIMES AND OFFENSES :: CHAPTER 11 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY :: ARTICLE 2 - OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER :: § 16-11-38 - Wearing mask, hood, or device which conceals identity of wearer

Virginia laws says:
2006 Code of Virginia § 18.2-422 - Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions
18.2-422. Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions.

It shall be unlawful for any person over sixteen years of age while wearing any mask, hood or other device whereby a substantial portion of the face is hidden or covered so as to conceal the identity of the wearer, to be or appear in any public place, or upon any private property in this Commonwealth without first having obtained from the owner or tenant thereof consent to do so in writing. However, the provisions of this section shall not apply to persons (i) wearing traditional holiday costumes; (ii) engaged in professions, trades, employment or other activities and wearing protective masks which are deemed necessary for the physical safety of the wearer or other persons; (iii) engaged in any bona fide theatrical production or masquerade ball; or (iv) wearing a mask, hood or other device for bona fide medical reasons upon the advice of a licensed physician or osteopath and carrying on his person an affidavit from the physician or osteopath specifying the medical necessity for wearing the device and the date on which the wearing of the device will no longer be necessary and providing a brief description of the device. The violation of any provisions of this section shall constitute a Class 6 felony.

LA outlawed masks, too.
2011 Louisiana Laws
Revised Statutes
TITLE 14 — Criminal law
RS 14:313 — Masks or hoods, wearing in public places prohibited; penalty; exceptions; permit to conduct mardi gras festivities, how obtained; wearing of hoods, masks, or disguises or giving of candy or other gifts by sex offenders

2011 Louisiana Laws :: Revised Statutes :: TITLE 14 — Criminal law :: RS 14:313 — Masks or hoods, wearing in public places prohibited; penalty; exceptions; permit to conduct mardi gras festivities, how obtained; wearing of hoods, masks, or disguises or giving of candy or other gifts by sex offenders

Even SC bans wearing masks in public.

2015 South Carolina Code of Laws
Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses
CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PEACE
Section 16-7-110. Wearing masks and the like.
Universal Citation: SC Code § 16-7-110 (2015)

No person over sixteen years of age shall appear or enter upon any lane, walk, alley, street, road, public way or highway of this State or upon the public property of the State or of any municipality or county in this State while wearing a mask or other device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person demand entrance or admission to or enter upon the premises or into the enclosure or house of any other person while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity. Nor shall any such person, while wearing a mask or device which conceals his identity, participate in any meeting or demonstration upon the private property of another unless he shall have first obtained the written permission of the owner and the occupant of such property.

2015 South Carolina Code of Laws :: Title 16 - Crimes and Offenses :: CHAPTER 7 - OFFENSES AGAINST THE PEACE :: Section 16-7-110. Wearing masks and the like.

New Mexico outlawed such activity, too.
2011 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 30: Criminal Offenses
Article 22: Interference with Law Enforcement, 30-22-1 through 30-22-27
Section 30-22-3: Concealing identity.

Universal Citation: NM Stat § 30-22-3 (1996 through 1st Sess 50th Legis)
30-22-3. Concealing identity.

Concealing identity consists of concealing one's true name or identity, or disguising oneself with intent to obstruct the due execution of the law or with intent to intimidate, hinder or interrupt any public officer or any other person in a legal performance of his duty or the exercise of his rights under the laws of the United States or of this state.

Whoever commits concealing identity is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

2011 New Mexico Statutes :: Chapter 30: Criminal Offenses :: Article 22: Interference with Law Enforcement, 30-22-1 through 30-22-27 :: Section 30-22-3: Concealing identity.

OK says NO, too.

2014 Oklahoma Statutes :: Title 21. Crimes and Punishments :: §21-1301. Masks and hoods - Unlawful wearing of - Exceptions.

VA says no to masks, but NOT blackface.

2006 Code of Virginia § 18.2-422 - Prohibition of wearing of masks in certain places; exceptions

TN says no to wearing masks in oublic.

2010 Tennessee Code :: Title 39 - Criminal Offenses :: Chapter 17 - Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare :: :: Part 3 - Disorderly Conduct and Riots :: :: 39-17-309 - Civil rights intimidation.

NY has an anti-mask law, too.
New York State's anti-mask law was enacted in 1845, to provide for public safety after disputes between landlords and tenants.
Anti-Rent War - Wikipedia

Yet, the clamor to go about masked, inciting fear among the citizenry is encouraged.

Again, the criminals amongst us spring into action.

Yet, the clamor to go about masked, inciting fear among the citizenry is encouraged.

Again, the criminals amongst us spring into action.

And yet, since my city went on lock down and started requiring masks the number of crimes reported has dropped by over a third. And my city is far from unique. Nationwide places that have had stay at home orders have also seen drops in overall crime.

It was only a matter of time before masking would lead to crime.

Is the contention that criminals wouldn't commit the crimes if not for the face mask requirements, or is the contention that the criminals would commit the crimes without the face mask if there were no requirements?

I suspect that the more likely cause for the increase (as mentioned in the article, but unquoted in your post) is this:

"Police said they were not exactly sure why there has been such an increase in robberies, but said it could be related to the number of inmates released from area jails due to the pandemic."
(emphasis added)

Criminals are going to commit crimes...it's kind of the definition of the word. This guy was going to get robbed, face mask requirement or no. This guy got robbed because California, for various reasons, doesn't keep criminals locked up.

Is the contention that criminals wouldn't commit the crimes if not for the face mask requirements, or is the contention that the criminals would commit the crimes without the face mask if there were no requirements?

Criminals are opportunists.
Criminals are sociopathic types readily seizing on weaknesses, lapses, and breaches to perpetrate their crimes.
Criminals desire to blend in with the law abiding populace.
The human vermin hide in plain sight, my friend.
Criminals use anything or anyone to assist in the perpetration of their criminal activities.
To some the Chi Comm virus is a pariah, a demon, but to criminals its another opportunity.

I had to have a medical test done in March.
The facility had arranged the furniture to comport with SD and CDC protocols.
I stood in an out of the way, deserted area of the waiting room (as is my wont).
A man wearing a mask entered the facility and said aloud, "Wow, this looks like a bank robber convention."
People laughed, as did I.
That is the moment I knew that sooner or later, criminals would be using the masks to better assist their nefarious deeds.

The surge in masked criminality isn't only in California, mate.
Not only have armed robberies increased, so have strong armed robberies, and sexual assaults.
I'm not surprised.
I expected such an outcome.

Here are two of types of masks I choose to wear when I desire to wear a mask.

balacamo.JPG

balablack.JPG

Them masks, them masks, them damn masks.

Virginia Booze Thieves Wore Hollowed Out Watermelons On Heads As Disguise To Commit Crimes.

Two young men wearing hollowed-out watermelon rinds on their heads stole alcohol from a Virginia convenience store, according to police who this weekend apprehended one of the masked bandits.

The duo, cops say, earlier this month swiped booze from a Sheetz convenience store in Louisa, a town 30 miles east of Charlottesville. As recorded in surveillance footage, the melon-headed perps had cut eye holes in the watermelon shells.

As seen above, the pair had even posed for a photograph at a Food Lion store in Louisa prior to their alleged alcohol heist.

Police have charged Justin Rogers, 20, with larceny, underage possession of alcohol, and wearing a mask while committing larceny. Rogers is pictured in the mug shot at right.

Police have asked anyone with information about the identity of Rogers's accomplice to call them, noting that, "The reference case is "MELON-HEADS."

watermelonheads.JPG

watermelonheads2.JPG

Back