Issues with tenant: sexual harrassment and other dangerous behaviors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justine

I am the landlord of a home that is rented to students by the room as a house share. We have been doing this for a few years without issue...until now:)

We have a male tenant that has been in the house for about 6 weeks who has been displaying discomforting behaviors.

(I have tried to include all details, so please feel free to scan if too long!)

Sexual harassment issue:

Second night staying in the house, sent a text message to our female on-site house manager "showering together sounds great, doesn't it?" This occurred after male tenant could not get into the house (unfamiliar with locks at the time - which work fine, the deadbolt was locked and he didn't think he could use the same key) and went around back to the deck where female was on the deck talking on the phone. She told him to go through her room (door's on deck) and she would show him the door after she was done with her phone call. He made her uncomfortable at that time by standing too closely, lingering in her room, touching her things, sitting on her bed. She finally asked him to leave after she gave him her number in case he ever has problems with anything again. Two minutes later, the text message was sent. She was already feeling uncomfortable and now was horrified. I advised her to tell him firmly that the behavior was inappropriate and I told her that I would be over the next morning to ask him to leave the house. We had another male tenant in the house who had been there for 3 years and was on the watch for this guy.

On my way over the next morning, female called to say that it seemed to be a misunderstanding and it would be ok if he stayed. He is European and had never heard of a bridal shower before which is what he had overheard while female was on the phone. He and I had a thorough, pointed conversation detailing what is and is not ok and he was sufficiently horrified at our discomfort that I felt he would be ok to keep and we all agreed.

A short while later, maybe one or two weeks, female sent out a form email to all housemates to which he made his response and signed it "sweet kisses". Female explained to him via email that this was also inappropriate behavior, especially with what had just happened. He responded with something along the lines of not understanding why something so slightly "erotic" is wrong between people of the opposite sex.

Last week, female put clothes in dryer, ran out for 40 minutes returning to take care of her clothes only to find that male had stopped the dryer and was fingering her clothing inappropriately. Touching it in a strange manner and then holding things up making comments about them...so tiny, so cute, pretty. He said he was doing laundry but his laundry hadn't even finished washing yet and her's still had drying to do. He obviously did not expect her back that soon.

In the meantime, male let the dog out (which he had been told not to), left the door open for dog to return, and then proceeded to leave the house vacant with the door open and the dog outside (no fence, main road). The strangest thing was that the owner had just been able to grab the dog off the road in the nick of time the previous night and male had been there to witness her being distraught over the dog running into the road.

Male had also begun turning on a space heater and leaving it on all day while no one was home. He was told by two different people that this is extremely dangerous and not to do it. He says ok, but does it anyway. I was the third person to tell him yesterday; it was not left on today - but for how long?

Lastly, female received an email from male saying that the housemates should band together and get landlord to include utilities in the rent at such a rate that would be good for them and then they can leave the heat on with the windows open (because who doesn't like fresh air with heat) and I (landlord) would be the one paying extra, not them.

Also, he paid his rent 15 days late this month...which I don't think is

So....in a nutshell, I do not trust this man in my house period. I am now sleeping on the couch because we are all freaked out, especially my female tenant and I do not want my tenants worrying about anything. We truly take care of our tenants and are very choosy...but messed up on this one.

My question: Do we have a chance at getting him evicted? And if so, how do I do this? Can you recommend a website and/or a book that would help?

I apologize for the length, just didn't want to leave anything out. Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,
Justine

Yes we do...ending Aug/09. The lease stipulates that tenants cannot disturb the peace of any other residents in the building...

Failure to pay rent and the safety issue of leaving the space heaters on after being told this is a safety hazards are much easier things to prove in getting someone evicted than the other issues you brought up.

Some of these other issues might simply reflect cultural differences in terms of personal space. My mother is from a European country and when we visited there I noticed folks tended to stand very close to one another and had far more physical contact in public than you'd normally see in the US; everyone greeting and said goodbye to one another with a hug AND a kiss on the cheek, there was lots of hand holding when everyone went for walks, etc.. Their "personal space" seemed to be much closer than what we traditionally feel comfortable with.

Gail

Thank you for your help! We really had thought that maybe it was cultural differences, which is why we let the first thing go, but as time has gone by, we really don't any longer. I have had Europeans in the house before - and there were always cultural differences, but there wasn't a sense of "wrong" when things came up. I've been around Europeans going way back through business and am very aware of the difference between our personal space and theirs and how touchy-feely they are compared to us and I've never felt this way....that little red caution light is flashing...we'll just have to see how this pans out and maybe shoot for the other stuff. Can you recommend any books for NYS landlords? I feel like we need to be a little better informed. Thanks again for all your help! This is a REALLY great website:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back