Consumer Law, Warranties Issues with catering company on wedding day, how much of a refund is reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scjordan3

We had multiple issues with my daughter's wedding with catering company, we have been in discussion but I am not satisfied with the refund they are suggesting how do I proceed? Is it worth it to see a lawyer in this situation? We paid almost $21,000 on wedding and they are only offering $3500 back which I think is an insult. A few of the issues are that the cocktail hour guests were barely given any Hors D'Oeuvres, guest were not able to go to bar to receive alcohol even though it was to be an open bar. There was to be an attendent for the bride and groom during cocktail hour while they waited upstairs to be introduced and that did not happen. Head table did not get enough seat placements as is stated in the paperwork, food had mushrooms which is stated not to in contract, bride and groom had no champagne in their glasses during the speeches to toast with, they smashed the cake top for the bride and groom first year anniversary, they threw out the glass gems we purchased for the tables as well as did not return the bins we had to take everything in, the favors that we had for guests, and left over cake. Guests even complained as to the numerous amount of things that happened. We have three typed pages of complaints. So do I accept the $3500 of a $21,000 wedding that was to be a special day or do I pursue legal action and hope they will also have to pay the legal expenses related to this? Even the other vendors had complaints about the catering company, this has been very stressful. Any guidance that can be given to me on how to proceed would be of great appreciation.

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience.

Nobody can tell you what the amount is worth except for those people there. Remember that if you sue, unless you go to small claims court - and you need to prove damages - it will cost you. So how much were their expenses? How much were yours? While I know you're upset, how much is reasonable to deduct if they did substantially perform, despite some of the problems that may or may not have been event spoilers (such as not having a cake at all)? There is no exact formula. It's a 15% discount and I don't think you could expect too much more to settle and have it go away. Go ahead and ask for more and try to settle in between. Always worth a shot, right? Good luck.

OP -I might just mention that the maximum you can sue for in small claims court in Maryland is $5,000. (just for your info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back