Issues trying to get SR 17.. How do I summon/service of process BMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantGetALicense

A bit of backstory... (Im from Indiana)

Dui in 2000
Dui in 2002 (still not 21 at this point : /)
Dui in 2007 (hit with habitual traffic vioulator)

So anyways I lost my licence for 10 years...

Im down to 3 years left and am trying to get it back. Due to some unfortunate buisness concerns largely due to my lack of license im basically broke and trying to go through court myself.

------------
I filed my petition for a hardship license as well as my certified driving record 10 days ago and just got in the mail yesterday afternoon a order from the court stating...

Document filed; same does not comply with Indiana Rules of Trial Procedure; there are no summons; no documents to comply with service of process on BMV or local prosecutor; all defects must be cured within 30 days or this matter will be dissmissed.

(Dated and stamped 10 days ago now so I have 20 to resolve it)

My question is...

Are the summons and service of process the same thing (I think they are but not entirely sure)

If so... how does one go about summoning the prosecutor and BMV?

I imagine I can probably get summons forms from the court (though they are less than helpful usually) but have no idea on how to write the summons to get the above (especially BMV) correct so my case can go through.

Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated as ive been up for 12 hours tring to find how to summon BMV and cannot find anything about it online. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Even if you get a hardship license, you have to pay oodles and oodles of money before you get anything.
If money is a problem now, it'll be a bigger problem before you get SR22 relief.
It many cases, its $3,000, $5,000, maybe more, much, much more!!!

Read the information, if you haven't:

http://www.in.gov/bmv/2373.htm

https://www.safeauto.com/state-insurance/indiana-auto-insurance

http://www.sr22-indiana.com/

http://www.dui-usa.drinkdriving.org/auto_insurance_quotes.php?id=14

http://www.dmv.com/in/indiana/suspended-license

I understand the cost for driving on a sr22 and how much money will be involved before this is all over.

That said without a license I am about to lose my company, not to mention I have a extremly well paying union job I can go back to once I reobtain it. I worked both for years...

That said I do thank you for your input, but my origional issue still stands.

I understand the cost for driving on a sr22 and how much money will be involved before this is all over.

That said without a license I am about to lose my company, not to mention I have a extremly well paying union job I can go back to once I reobtain it. I worked both for years...

That said I do thank you for your input, but my origional issue still stands.

You'd be better off hiring a driver.
Just because you get a hearing, its not an assurance you'll get a license.
You see how they delay you, how you are thwarted with red tape as you simply ask to be heard.
Or, bite the bullet, hire a lawyer.

What the court said was you must serve notice on the BMV and the county prosecutor that you are seeking a hardship license.
The "how to" is embedded in all the material on the court's or the BMV website.

You'd be better off hiring a driver.
Just because you get a hearing, its not an assurance you'll get a license.
You see how they delay you, how you are thwarted with red tape as you simply ask to be heard.
Or, bite the bullet, hire a lawyer.

What the court said was you must serve notice on the BMV and the county prosecutor that you are seeking a hardship license.
The "how to" is embedded in all the material on the court's or the BMV website.

Granted you are correct... I may get a hearing and not get my license. With that said, I fail to see how one could reasonably concider hiring a driver as a viable alternative.

Let me break a few things down for you as you seem a bit confused on costs...

Sr22 filing fee $25

Insurance premium monthly cost ~$100 monthly [3600 over 3 years but only just over 300 up front] (already have the quote from a family member)

Reinstatement fees $300

So going this route im looking at ~650 out of pocket and up front with a total cost over 3 years of around 4 grand... Do you know anyone willing to drive me around for 3 years for that kind of salary?

If I add a lawyer im looking at another 2200 dollars to have him go to bat for me (I was able to file myself for under 200 and without trying to make a bad situation worse this seemed the best course of action.

--------------

Now back to the topic at hand.

As far as scouring the local courts or bmv website for how to summon an entitiy such as the BMV, I did so well before coming to this site. I wouldnt be on here wasting your time nor mine if I were able to find it in such a manner (please understand im not saying that in no way possible is it outlined somwhere in there, just that after hours of searching I came up empty)

I do appreciate your attempts to help, however trying to disuade me from what is my only feesible course at this time is actually quite unhelpful and seems like the same red tape the court is throwing at me.

Again I restate my question for any out there who would know how to do so...

How does one summon an entity such as the BMV or a prosecutor to court? Even pointing me in the correct direction such as a IC, or a link to the part of a legal site that explains this process (not an individual but an entitiy such as those listed above) would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance if any are around who have this knowledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back