Island sink not built in condo

condohelp123

Jurisdiction
California
I purchased a new construction condo and when I purchased it, the layout had two kitchen sinks - one in counter, one in kitchen island. Upon my walk through last week, the island sink was not installed. I was super disappointed because the island sink was one of the main selling points for me for this unit. The sales office kept saying that the layout I was given was just marketing material and the island sink was never in the blueprints. The email below (slightly edited) is what I sent to the builders + sales office right after my walk through. It also recaps the series of fishy events.

------------------

Backstory + builder's proposal
- Condo sales rep sent a mass email on 3/6 (mass email was on accident) stating that the standard package will have Whirlpool appliances upgraded to KitchenAid at no cost. Since I paid and upgraded to package #2, which included KitchenAid appliances, I was credited back $5,995 for the KitchenAid appliances as buyers of the standard package got those for free.
- Received call from condo sales rep on 4/12 stating that they were (magically and conveniently) able to work with their vendors to secure Whirlpool appliances for the standard package and will not include the upgraded KitchenAid appliances. (Sales rep "said" she will email all standard package owners to communicate and rectify this.) Now instead, the $5,995 credit will be re-purposed for their error of including an island sink in the layout drawing.

My proposal:
I consulted with my real estate agent and she contacted her contractor to get an estimate for how much it would cost to get a sink installed in the island and they quoted $15K. Therefore my ask is to reduce $15K from the purchase price.

Attached is the layout drawing that was given to me during multiple occasions: during my design discussions, given to me again a month ago right before my walk thru with the sales rep, AND in the recent tile updates contract on 4/5 (just a couple of days ago!). Including a sink in the island was a huge oversight on the builder's end and nothing was communicated to me up until my physical walk through on 4/9. Again, this was one of the selling points for me as there were several units to choose from.

Your company needs to take ownership for this mistake. Please escalate this case to management. This has been an absolutely terrible experience for me so please make things right.

Lastly, I want proof that the standard appliance package will include Whirlpool appliances, not the upgraded KitchenAid appliances. Per legal consultation, if not given the appropriate proof I can turn this to a class action lawsuit for all owners of package #2 who did not get reimbursed appropriately. (This is easily verifiable by going door to door upon move in.)

Please let me know what terms your company can come to.

---------------------------

In the end, the builder denied all my requests and said I can keep the $5995 for the appliances. No money will be given to me for the missing island sink. Do I have a case here?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2
If you wanted the island sink you should have made sure it was in your contract. Read your contract. It'll probably say that the contract is the entire contract and anything outside the contract (like marketing materials) doesn't count.

If you wanted the island sink you should have made sure it was in your contract. Read your contract. It'll probably say that the contract is the entire contract and anything outside the contract (like marketing materials) doesn't count.
Read the whole thing...they use this layout still to this day in my design contracts so it's not just marketing material.

It's not me you have to convince. The builder said no. Your realtor is useless. I suggest you take your contract and the floor plan to an attorney and review your options.

Back